[dehai-news] Extensive preparations being made to mark observances of 25th anniversary of Nadew Command’s demise

From: Samuel Igbu <igbu.samuel_at_gmail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 12:33:29 -0500

Afabet, 21 February 2013 – The Administration of Afabet sub-zone indicated
that extensive preparations are being made to mark observances of the 25th
anniversary of the demise of Nadew Command.

Mr. Abdu Mohammed Telke, the sub-zonal Administrator, pointed out that
various programs such as carnivals, cultural shows, exhibition and
community-based activities would be staged during the observance. Moreover,
service businesses there are making preparations to serve participants, as
the streets of Afabet semi-urban center are being embellished.

Mr. Abdu further disclosed that Afabet-She’ib and Afabet-Keren routes are
being renovated so as to ensure smooth transportation during the momentous
event. He further lauded the role of national construction companies in the
process. The youths’ major participation in the observance attests to the
fact that they have kept intact national values, he added.

As our nation preparing for the 25th of anniversary of Nadew Command here
is part of the history of the demolishing of nadew.

The demolishing of Nadew Iz and its aftermath (Part I)

The big accomplishment that had been witnessed after the Second and Unity
Congress was the demolishing of the Nadew Iz that had stationed at Nakfa.
The enemy army had ben stationed there for nine years and was considering
itself as an indomitable army. However, with the lightening offensive of
the EPLF from 17 to 19 March the enemy was annihilated within 48 hours. Its
main base Afabet was liberated and 18 thousand from the 20 thousand of the
enemy soldiers had been killed and, wounded and taken prisoners. And for
the first time three Soviet officers, two Colonels and one Lieutenant, were
taken prisoners. The military hardware of the enemy including BM 21 rocket
launchers and 130 mm canons became the property of the EPLF.

The victory was as the result of the nine years continuous resistance and
military confrontation. The enemy trenches that were seemingly
un-penetrable until 1988 were demolished within two days. The enemy was
unable to defend its position that had been its strong hold for nine years.
Its inability to defend its stronghold revealed its diminishing power. To
the contrary the EPLF emerged more powerful and increased its capacity with
the weaponry it snatched from the enemy. After Nadew the Halhal front was
demolished. The new trenches of the EPLF combatants were built on the doors
of Keren, in Meshalit. The enemy was forced to retreat from Akordet,
Barentu and Tesenei towns. It also brought soldiers from all over Ethiopia
and tried, until it gets exhausted, to penetrate the Meshalit, Rora-Mensae,
and Reisi-Adi trenches. And it was to no avail except to loose 60 thousand
of its forces. The number includes to that of Nadew Iz.

In addition to that the EPLF also established a new front on the Red Sea
coastline. In the surprise attack conducted on 19 April in Assab the EPLF
inflicted heavy damage on the Assab refinery and on a war ship of the
Ethiopian Navy. More over, in the attack it conducted on 31 May with rapid
boats on the Massawa peninsula two enemy warships that were there were
destroyed and in the attack it conducted on 6 September in the port of
Massawa three big warships, warehouses and other small boats were totally
and partially destroyed.

The Eritrean people did not miss the essence of that victory. It understood
that independence is next door. And it rose up in unison to strengthen the
revolution and contribute its capacity. And it increased its participation
to the level unseen before. Resistance committees were established in the
cities of Sudan, the Middle East, Europe, as well as the US and Canada.
Youths from inside the country and the Sudan joined the armed struggle in
thousands. Eritreans living abroad contributed every thing in their
disposal to struggle through the resistance committees.

written by: Yishak Yared