[dehai-news] (Running.competitor) Tadese Going After His Own Half Marathon Record

From: Semere Asmelash <semereasmelash_at_ymail.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 13:22:14 -0800 (PST)

http://running.competitor.com/2013/01/news/tadese-going-after-his-own-half-marathon-record_65123

Tadese Going After His Own Half Marathon Record * By News
* Published Jan. 31, 2013
* Updated 1 day ago
He needs to run faster than 58:23.

Eritrea’s Zersenay Tadese is the king of the half marathon. After all, the 2007 world cross-country champion has five IAAF titles at that distance.

He also owns the world record for the half, which is 58 minutes and 23 seconds. This amazingly fast time was set in 2010.

And on April 6, Tadese will be shooting for a faster one at the Hervis Prague Half Marathon on April 6.

“Our race was the fastest half-marathon in the world in 2012,” Alfred Eichblatt, general manager of Hervis Sport said. “This year we are hoping to break the world record!”

“Zersenay Tadese, who will be celebrating his 31st birthday this February, runs an incredibly limited number of races each year, which he selects carefully,” remarked elite athlete coordinator Jana Moberly. “We are truly happy that he chose Prague this year.”

Even if he falls short of the world mark, Tadese stands a good chance of winning the race. In 10 years, he has lost only three races at the 13.1-mile distance. http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/display-article?arId=82452 WR Holder Tadese To Run Prague Half-MarathonNEWS RELEASE/NEWS RELEASE/NEWS RELEASE/NEWS

TADESE IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF ZATOPEK

London, Wednesday, January 30, 1330gmt

The burgeoning running scene in the Czech Republic will be boosted by the five-time world champion and world record holder, Zersenay Tadese competing in the Hervis Prague half-marathon in early April.

Tadese, the most successful Eritrean runner in history has won five out of six World Half Marathon races he has contested since 2006, also taking silver in 2010. Additionally, he is a World cross country champion (2007), and an Olympic bronze and World silver medallist at 10,000 metres.

Tadese, 30, ran the current half-marathon world record of 58min 23sec in Lisbon 2010, and is expected to attack the Prague course record of 58.47, the fourth fastest in history (and world’s fastest last year), set by Ethiopian Atsedu Tsegay.

Among the other runners due to appear on the start line alongside Tadese on April 6, will be Philemon Limo from Kenya who ran the first half-marathon under one hour in the Czech Republic in 2011, with a time of 59:30.  It is expected that the field will shortly be augmented by other sub-60min men.

Nor since the days of the illustrious Emil Zátopek has distance running flourished as it has done in recent years in Prague and throughout the Czech Republic. This has been due, largely, to the efforts of Carlo Capalbo and his team at the Prague International Marathon (PIM).

In addition to the Prague ‘half’, and Volkswagen Marathon on May 11, with the Mattoni Grand Prix 10k on September 7, the RunCzech road race series, launched by PIM three years ago, now comprises half marathons in the provincial towns of České Budějovice, Olomouc, Ústí nad Labem, with the Karlovy Vary inaugural event this coming May 25.

“We are pleased to welcome such a top athlete, to take part in the 15th edition of the Hervis Prague Half Marathon,” said Carlo Capalbo, Chairman of the Organizing Committee at the Prague International Marathon.  “Once again we are going to see records smashed here in Prague".

“Zersenay Tadese, who will be celebrating his 31st birthday this February, runs an incredibly limited number of races each year, which he selects carefully. We are truly happy that he chose Prague this year”, added Jana Moberly, Coordinator of Elite Athletes for the Organizing Team.

ends