[DEHAI] (Observer, Uganda) Why Museveni blames Gadhafi for riots

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 07:41:40 EDT

  Why Museveni blames Gadhafi for
riots<https://mail.google.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5122:why-museveni-blames-gadhafi-for-riots&catid=78:topstories&Itemid=59>
[image:
Print]<https://mail.google.com/index.php?view=article&catid=78%3Atopstories&id=5122%3Awhy-museveni-blames-gadhafi-for-riots&tmpl=component&print=1&page=&option=com_content&Itemid=59>
[image:
E-mail]<https://mail.google.com/index.php?option=com_mailto&tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5vYnNlcnZlci51Zy9pbmRleC5waHA/dmlldz1hcnRpY2xlJmlkPTUxMjIlM0F3aHktbXVzZXZlbmktYmxhbWVzLWdhZGhhZmktZm9yLXJpb3RzJm9wdGlvbj1jb21fY29udGVudCZJdGVtaWQ9NTk=>
  Top
Stories
<https://mail.google.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=78:topstories&layout=blog&Itemid=59>
Written
by OBSERVER TEAM Sunday, 20 September 2009 08:54

The shadowy hand of foreign elements is not being ruled out of
investigations into what triggered last week’s violent riots in Kampala and
other parts of Buganda. The suspicion arises from what the government
believes to be an unusual degree of organisation during the disturbances.

 When riots broke out in Kampala and spread to other parts of Buganda,
President Museveni told the nation in a televised pre-recorded statement
that a foreign hand he did not name had rendered support.
“I also got information that Mengo elements got foreign funds to further
their aims of fighting the NRM and undermine the Constitution,” Museveni
said in a statement he recorded before Buganda MPs at State House Entebbe.
“We are following these reports very closely and we shall defeat all those
elements involved.”

The three days of rioting broke out on Thursday, September 10, after Police
and UPDF commanded by Grace Turyagumanawe cordoned off River Sezibwa Bridge,
effectively stopping the Katikkiro of Buganda, Eng. J.B Walusimbi, from
proceeding to Kayunga District.

Turyagumanwe’s marching orders to the Katikkiro were broadcast live, setting
off spontaneous riots across Buganda.

Kayunga was the venue for this year’s annual Buganda Youth Day and the
Katikkiro had gone to check on preparations before the Kabaka would visit on
Saturday.

But Museveni stopped the visit, saying that the Kabaka should first hold
negotiations with Capt. Baker Kimeze, cultural leader of the Banyala, a
minority sub-ethnic group seeking autonomy from Buganda. The Banyala reside
in Bugerere, Kayunga District.

*FOREIGN HAND*

The state-owned New Vision reported on the second day (Friday) of the riots
that, “there are concerns in security circles that the Libyan leader,
Muammar Gadhafi, could be using the Ugandan traditional leaders to undermine
Museveni.”

The statement was contained in the same story that covered Museveni’s claim
of a foreign hand in the riots. It was reported in the same story that
Prince Kassim Nakibinge Kakungulu attended celebrations marking Gadhafi’s
40th anniversary in power, but The Observer has established that Nakibinge
did not travel to Libya on that occasion.

New Vision, quoting unnamed sources, said security is investigating reports
that a large sum of money was channeled through a Kampala bank to some
royals for anti-government activities. Prince Nakibinge is the Executive
Officer at the Libyan-owned Tropical Bank.

The Red Pepper took the story forward, suggesting this week that a city bank
was in trouble [for being a conduit of Libyan money meant for the riots].

Speaking on Capital Gang (Capital FM) on September 12, Capt. Francis Babu,
chairperson of the National Association of Broadcasters, indicated that the
rioters might have been paid to agitate.

When contacted by The Observer on Monday, September 14, Francis Babu said he
had been informed by the Police that “these boys (rioters) are being
organised and given allowances”.
He suggested that the rioters were given “between 5,000 to 15,000 bob.”

However, Babu stressed that the matter was under investigation, and he
mentioned as much when on air.
“I’m still following the story myself,” he said, adding that, “there are
Police investigations since there were people who were given money. Some
people were being funded to do this.”

He was keen to add that there is “no evidence as such [and] people have not
yet been charged.” He warned however, that nefarious elements should not
imagine this matter would end quietly.

“Be very careful. This government is very well conversant with
investigations. They are clued up,” Babu said.

President Museveni’s Press Secretary, Tamale Mirundi, also confirmed the
suspicion of a foreign hand in the riots.

“The President said there are reports that foreign forces were involved in
providing cars [but] the President cannot disclose which foreigners were
involved,” he said.

“I cannot tell you which country or which kind of foreigners were involved,”
Tamale Mirundi added. “We are taking these people to the courts. This
evidence will be produced in court.”

Mirundi insisted that “the cases are going to be handled expeditiously”.

When asked about the possibility that a foreign element was being used as a
pretext to justify a government crackdown, Mirundi responded: “You are a
journalist, so you know countries have got enemies. When an enemy sees a
problem, he can take advantage of that problem. So it is not a question of
blaming”.

He added: “This is in fact the first time the President has implicated
foreign forces in our country, except for [LRA leader Joseph] Kony’s time.”

Buganda Kingdom Attorney General, Apollo Makubuya, on Tuesday challenged
government to show proof that Mengo has a foreign backer.

“If we receive foreign money, let them show. The onus is on the government
to show that we have money from Gadhafi,” he said by telephone.

WHY GADHAFI IS A SUSPECT

Diplomatic sources have told us that the relations between Museveni and
Gadhafi are at their lowest ever since they bitterly disagreed on the
formation of a United States of Africa during the African Union summit in
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in February 2009.

We understand that Gadhafi, one of the sponsors of the 1981-86 guerilla war
that brought Museveni to power, called him for a quick chat before the
summit started.

During their conversation, Gadhafi once again pleaded with his friend
Museveni to support his push for a single government for Africa. Libyan
diplomats have told us that Museveni gave Gadhafi’s proposal a nod of
approval and the maverick self-styled “King of Kings” in Africa asked the
Ugandan leader to deliver a strong speech at the summit that would persuade
others.

To Gadhafi’s utter disappointment, when it was Museveni’s turn to speak, he
stuck to his long held view of strengthening regional blocks first, before
thinking of a single, African government.

Gadhafi treated Museveni’s cautious regional blocks sermon as betrayal. The
angry Libyan leader told some African leaders, according to diplomatic
sources, that if Museveni continued to joke around with him, he would
undermine him (Museveni) the way he did with former South African President,
Thabo Mbeki.
By amassing soldiers from Mubende, Bombo, those returning from Somalia, and
those on drills ahead of the Independence Day anniversary celebrations,
Museveni appeared to be responding to a bigger threat than Buganda.

Our diplomatic sources have told us that Gadhafi and Museveni have fallen
out so badly that the Libyan leader is willing to sponsor any opposition
group with a credible chance of defeating Museveni in the 2011 general
elections.

Perhaps fearing that Gaddafi might channel money to oppose him through
Buganda Kingdom, President Museveni revealed, while addressing Parliament on
Tuesday, that he will introduce a law to compel kingdoms to declare big
donations to the government.

BUGANDA - GADHAFI LINK

The belief by Museveni and his security advisers that it is Buganda that
Gadhafi is financing, or will finance, in his proxy war against his
government, is informed by what they see as a warming of relations between
the kingdom and oil-rich Libya.

While the relationship between Gadhafi and Tooro Kingdom can be put into
context and, in fact, Museveni helped build it, neither the President nor
his aides have played any role in building the ties between the Libyan
leader and Buganda Kingdom.

When he came to Uganda in March 2008, to officiate at the Afro-Arab youth
festival, Gadhafi said he wanted to work with traditional leaders and not
elected presidents, to achieve his project of a single African government.

That is why, when the Katikkiro of Buganda, Eng. J.B, Walusimbi, who wants
money to finance his development projects in Buganda sought an appointment
with the “King of Kings”, Gadhafi not only enthusiastically accepted but
decided to drove to Bulange, the kingdom’s administrative seat in Kampala,
and held a 37-minute discussion with Buganda officials.

The Kabaka of Buganda was out of the country but Prince Kassim Nakibinge
represented him. The Katikkiro and the Nnabageraka, Sylvia Nagginda, also
attended.

During that meeting, Gadhafi asked Buganda to present a development plan
that he can fund.
Gadhafi’s visit coincided with the fall out between Buganda and Museveni’s
government over the Land (Amendment) Bill 2007. Four months after this
visit, which took place in March 2008, three Mengo officials, including two
ministers, were arrested and detained for one week on charges of terrorism,
which later turned into sedition. The three - Charles Peter Mayiga, Medard
Lubega and Betty Nambooze Bakireke – were all vocal opponents of the Land
Bill.

What stands out in the Buganda-Gadhafi relationship is that it’s being built
at a time the kingdom is posing the biggest challenge to Museveni’s
administration.
According to our diplomatic sources, with Tooro and Buganda partly in his
bag, Gadhafi is now courting

Bunyoro, and Libyan diplomats have visited the Omukama several times.
All these manoeuvres have increased Museveni’s suspicions. In January this
year, the government stopped a meeting of traditional leaders from across
Africa, organised and bankrolled by Gadhafi to discuss African unity.

“Inviting kings and chiefs who are not recognised in their respective
countries to come and discuss political issues may raise controversies and
undermine stability in the Great Lakes region,” the government said, in a
statement following a last-minute cancellation of the meeting.

When asked to comment about the alleged foreign hand in the riots, Police
Chief Kale Kayihura merely replied, “You will talk to the PRO (Public
Relations Officer). She will give you all the details.”
For her part, Police Spokeswoman, Judith Nabakooba, was unwilling to reveal
any details of the investigation without authorisation from Edward Ochom,
the Director of the Criminal Investigations Department. “Let me first
consult with the director. Call me later,” she said.

The UPDF, which was deeply involved in quelling the rioters, also remains
reticent.
Asked whether the UPDF had an official position on the matter, Spokesperson
Lt. Col. Felix Kulayigye remarked, “no we don’t. I don’t have an official
position.”
But Museveni’s own words about foreign involvement in his statement to the
nation were ominous.

“We are following these reports very closely and we shall defeat all those
elements involved”, he warned. “I encourage my friend His Highness Kabaka
Mutebi to distance himself from the Judases. The NRM fought many battles; we
shall win this one also.”

editor@observer.ug This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You
need JavaScript enabled to view it
Why Museveni blames Gadhafi for riots