[DEHAI] (Glide Magazine) Singer songwriter Mike Doughty working on a photo book about Asmara

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 13:10:00 EDT

To see Mike Doughty's music video click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNuqX3EY70
***************

"He’s currently ... working on a photo book about Eritrea’s capital
city of Asmara, for Yeti Books"

Mike Doughty Releasing “Sad Man Happy Man” October 6th
August 27, 2009

When Mike Doughty released his second official solo album, 2008’s
Golden Delicious, the reaction from fans was intense. “Some hated it,
some loved it better than Soul Coughing,” Doughty says. “I tend to
take sharp left turns. Every time I put out a record, the audience
seems to like what I did two years ago better. You’d think I could
shrug it off because that’s what always happens, but it always gets to
me.”

Doughty admits that his upcoming album, Sad Man Happy Man - released
October 6th on ATO Records - is a reaction to his fans’ reaction and
that he’s giving the people what they want. “I really went for the
‘na-na-na's’ and the simple choruses and stuff on Golden,” he says.
“The songs on Sad Man are more arcane and convoluted songwriting-wise,
though they’re sparer in terms of instrumentation. Although my
choruses are still simple — I love taking phrases and repeating them
ad infinitum.”

The largely acoustic Sad Man Happy Man is a deliberate return to
everything people love about Mike Doughty, he makes albums that simmer
with verbal wit, and Sad Man Happy Man is no exception with its songs
about everything from relationship bust-ups (Doughty was going through
one while he was recording it) to his astute observations about the
American economy.

"Pleasure on Credit" is a celebratory tale of the American spender in
the face of the U.S.’s credit addiction crushing the world's markets;
“Lord Lord” is all sly drug references, like “Tango and Cash” and “Dr.
Nova,” which are both brand-names for bags of heroin. “That song is
kind of like my ‘Walk on the Wild Side,’” Doughty says. “I like how
Reed’s tune is all about tranny whores and yet is all over classic
rock radio.” Doughty wrote "Rising Up" after his girlfriend sent him a
terse email and, with his heart thumping, wrote five pages trying to
exorcise his anxiety. “It’s my Gloria Gaynor moment,” he says with a
laugh. “The message of the tune is: ‘You're fucked, but it doesn't
matter. I'll keep on with my spiritual journey.’ Yes, I really am that
much of a hippie.”

Musically, Sad Man Happy Man finds Doughty returning to his acoustic
roots thanks to its stripped-down arrangements that feature Doughty
backing himself on guitar. He also did all the drum programming, as
well as played keyboards and what he calls the “weird noise stuff,”
while his long-time touring partner Andrew “Scrap” Livingston handles
bass duties. Recorded at New York’s Kampo Studios, the album was
co-produced by Doughty and engineer Pat Dillett (They Might Be Giants,
David Byrne, Arto Lindsay), with the exception of album’s first single
“Doubly Gratified,” which was produced by David Kahne, who helmed Soul
Coughing’s 1996 album Irresistible Bliss, as well as albums by Paul
McCartney, Sugar Ray, and Tony Bennett.

Doughty maintains a widely read blog (mikedoughty.com/blog) that
chronicles his unique shows, international travels, and creative
endeavors. He’s currently writing a memoir, recording an electronic
album entitled Dubious Luxury, and working on a photo book about
Eritrea’s capital city of Asmara, for Yeti Books. He also recently
published a play, Ray Slape is Dead, in 24 by 24: The 24 Hour Plays
Anthology, alongside Terrence McNally and Theresa Rebeck.

But for now, Doughty is looking forward to a fall ‘09 “Question Jar”
tour with his friend Scrap and releasing Sad Man Happy Man. “Basically
I'm trying to make stuff I want to listen to,” he says of the album.
“And I mean that in a literal sense, not like, “Were I a listener, I
would like this,” but rather something I can listen to on the subway
on headphones and really dig. This is my life, this is what I do. That
sounds matter-of-fact, but I really do look at it as a sort of
calling — and being an artist at its best is selfless. I'm working for
the language, I'm working for the music, I'm working for the songs.
I'm a happier guy when I'm conscious of that.”

Sad Man Happy Man tracklisting – ATO # 0081
Nectarine (part two)
(I Keep On) Rising Up
(You Should Be) Doubly (Gratified)
Lorna Zauberberg
(I Want to) Burn You (Down)
Pleasure on Credit
Lord Lord Help Me Just to Rock Rock On
(He's Got the) Whole World (in His Hands)
(When I) Box the Days (Up)
Year of the Dog
Diane
How to Fuck a Republican
Casper the Friendly Ghost (written by Daniel Johnston)

Fall ‘09 tour – all dates subject to change
Oct 8th 2009 Club Cafe Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (two shows)
Oct 9th 2009 Club Cafe Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oct 10 2009 The Drake Hotel Toronto, Ontario
Oct 11 2009 The Drake Hotel Toronto, Ontario
Oct 11 2009 The Drake Hotel Toronto, Ontario
Oct 13 2009 Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland OH
Oct 14 2009 The Ark Ann Arbor, Michigan
Oct 15 2009 Schubas Tavern Chicago, Illinois (two shows)
Oct 16 2009 Schubas Tavern Chicago, Illinois
Oct 17 2009 Shank Hall Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Oct 18 2009 Blueberry Hill St. Louis, Missouri
Oct 20 2009 Zanzabar Louisville, Kentucky
Oct 21 2009 3rd & Lindsley Nashville, Tennessee
Oct 22 2009 Melting Point Athens, Georgia
Oct 23 2009 Eddie’s Attic Decatur, Georgia (two shows)
Oct 24 2009 The Evening Muse Charlotte, North Carolina
Oct 25 2009 Grey Eagle Tavern Asheville, North Carolina
Oct 27 2009 Arts Center Carrboro, North Carolina
Oct 28 2009 The Southern Charlottesville, Virginia
Oct 29 2009 Birchmere Alexandria, Virginia
Oct 30 2009 Sellersville Theatre Sellersville, Pennsylvania
Oct 31 2009 Le Poisson Rouge New York, New York