[DEHAI] Phil and Caroline with VSO in Eritrea - Rain - 25 August 2009

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 16:19:49 EDT

 Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)

Phil and Caroline with VSO in Eritrea

Tuesday, 25 August 2009

Rain

It's been raining almost constantly here for 48 hours, unusual compared
to the rainy seasons of the last few years but I'm assured by Eritreans
that it is normal. Everyone is still very happy about the abundance of
water pouring from the sky, but it is getting cold. The altitude here
means that the absence of sun for even a short time makes the
temperatures plummet and that they are doing. I'm writing this wearing 4
layers, a fleece jacket and a woolly scarf. Feels like a British summer.

The Eritreans, while welcoming the rain, also see it as valid excuse for
not going out. Work, school, stops until the rain does. None of this
braving it out, just stay at home until it stops. Fine when it does its
normal thing of a few hours (see, I am adapting) but it should be
interesting to see what happens if our present deluge persists for a few
more days.

There was yet another wedding of a VSO volunteer to an Eritrean at the
weekend. That's 4 in the (almost) two years we've been here.

http://eritrea2008.blogspot.com/2009/08/rain.html