Re: [DEHAI] Dr. Rashidi's visit to Asmara

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Aug 21 2009 - 13:31:10 EDT

Selam Almaz,

As strange as it sounds racist mentality is not limited to people of
the White race. There are those, at best, who assume the role of Aba
guaila to racist songs (don’t go too far check Dehai) and at worst,
there are those who tend to be irredeemably shallow basking in the
thought that “habesha” is better than “black”.

Leaving the ‘habesha’ racists in their little fantasy world, let me
share with you a quotation from an article that discusses the
attitudes of some Americans:

 “Too many times, we have seen public figures deny that they are
racists, despite having made truly appalling statements (see Michael
Richards and Don Imus for starters) that are undeniably derogatory to
people of color. America is no longer a place friendly to outright
racism, but it’s also a place where “racism” is being redefined to
excuse the less extreme. I’m not a racist; I just called a couple of
African-Americans the “n” word, or called a person of color a
“banana-eating jungle monkey.”  Doesn’t make any sense? That’s because
it’s not true … In America these days, you’re only a real racist if
you wear a white robe and burn crosses in people’s yards. Using
derogatory language and encouraging racial stereotypes isn’t “racist”
in these times; it’s a “mistake,” a “poor choice of words,” a
“regrettable statement.” We’re constantly reminded that these
non-racists are good people with jobs and families, people who serve
their country and work hard. Nobody ever tried to say that a racist
couldn’t be an otherwise good person and citizen, and besides, being a
hard worker or a faithful husband does not excuse racist behavior”

To read the whole article click below:

"I am not a racist"
https://www.examiner.com/x-19545-Anchorage-Liberal-Examiner~y2009m8d7-I-am-not-a-racist