[DEHAI] RE: A view from Asmara; Embarassing black american in Asmara

From: Aklilu W (akliluw@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 20:43:45 EDT

Selam Thomas mountain,

I believe your observation is correct historically and politically. Sad historical facts there for reference.  The ignorance on the part of  “ Blake Americans “ towards other Africans is not the making of their own at least initially. The identity issue is there by and large as direct consequence of the socio political situation since the 17th century.  To be clear however, NO ONE CAN DENY THEIR AFRICAN  ROOTS.  There is a big gap of understanding between black American and Africans in general on the common ground.  These differences go deeper than cultural.  It requires an open discussion to narrow the misperception of one over the other. The history of black civil rights movement and the study of Pre-Colonial Africa might be a good place to start.

On a similar note, is there a difference of perception of the mainstream America towards the Black Americans ( descendants of Africa =  those who are direct descendants of captive Africans of slavery era)
                                  AND
the black Africans ( those who immigrated from Africa) on the other ?  I have my opinion but I thought it does present with the race and ethnic relational with in states.

aklilu