[DEHAI] Britain Suspends Constitution of Turks and Caicos Islands

From: wolda002@umn.edu
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 00:49:32 EDT

CARIBBEAN:
Britain Suspends Constitution of Turks and Caicos Islands

Peter Richards

PROVIDENCIALES, Turks and Caicos Islands, Aug 14 (IPS) - The British
government Friday suspended the constitution of the Turks and Caicos
Islands (TCI) in a move that the outgoing head of government Galmo Williams
referred to as a "coup" by London.
Governor of this British Overseas Territory Gordon Wetherell - now in
charge - said that he had signed the necessary proclamation and promised
fresh general elections by 2011.

But Williams, who took over the government in March, said the action was
tantamount to an invasion, and that London had denied earlier requests for
a referendum to allow the population to decide on their future.

"...Today our country is being invaded and re-colonised by the United
Kingdom, dismantling a duly elected government and legislature and
replacing it with a one man dictatorship, akin to that of the old Red
China, all in the name of good governance," Williams said.

The move by London followed the recommendations by a Commission of Inquiry
into the government of former premier Michael Misick, who is alleged to
have amassed a multi-million-dollar fortune since he was elected in 2003.

Sole commissioner, Sir Robin Auld, had recommended that the constitution be
suspended for an indeterminate period, "to replace the democratic process
presently provided by the Cabinet and the House of Assembly with direct
rule from Westminster, acting through the Governor with, but not bound by,
the advice of an Advisory Executive Council."

On Wednesday, a British Court of Appeal dismissed arguments by Misick that
the Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution Order - that allows for
suspending the constitution - contravenes European Union laws. The
three-member panel also ruled that there was little evidence to support the
case going any further.

"Following the decision in the Court of Appeal in London on 12 Aug. and on
the instruction of UK Ministers, I have today signed a proclamation,
published in the Gazette, which brings into force the Order in Council
suspending parts of the Turks and Caicos Islands constitution," the
Governor said.

He said that with "immediate effect, Ministerial government and the House
of Assembly are suspended... and the House of Assembly is dissolved and
Members’ seats are vacated."

"The constitutional right to trial by jury is also suspended with immediate
effect. In accordance with the Order in Council, this will be for a period
of two years, subject to extension or abbreviation as necessary," Wetherell
said.

The Governor said that during the two-year period, he would be responsible
for the government of the Turks and Caicos Islands and that he has
appointed Martin Stanley as Chief Executive to head the TCI public service.

"Shortly, I will also be appointing an Advisory Council and a Consultative
Forum," Wetherell said. "I expect to announce the membership and rules of
business of these two new bodies in the next few days."

In May this year, Williams addressed the United Nations Second
International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism conference in St.
Kitts and urged London to allow his people to determine their future in a
referendum.

He noted also that the U.N. Declaration of 1960 states that all peoples
have the right to self-determination and to freely pursue their economic,
social and cultural development.

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries are also opposed to the move by
London. At their summit in Guyana last month they declared that they "were
deeply disturbed by the adverse findings of Turks and Caicos Commission of
Inquiry into possible corruption or other dishonesty in relation to past
and present elected members of the Legislature."

"The Caribbean Community continues to hold fast to the view it expressed in
its statement on the situation in the TCI on 24 Mar. 2009 that suspending
the Constitution of TCI and its democratic institutions and resorting to
direct rule by the colonial power are not the most effective tools to
bolster good governance and effective administration in the territory,"
CARICOM stated.

In a message to citizens on Friday, Williams condemned the "coup" by London
and promised "that my days of service to my country, will never be over."

He thanked all the outgoing legislators and the public servants for their
support, adding that "there will be greater challenges in our future."

"...As the grand children of slaves, left abandoned on these barren shores
centuries ago, we, together with those who came later on, have turned these
Islands into something that we can all be proud of, and indeed something
that our once delinquent masters, have stated that they will do anything
except a return to slavery to repossess," Williams stressed.

"As the legitimately and duly elected leader of this country," Williams
said that he was "strongly" objecting to the recommendations outlined in
the Report of the Commission.

"But I am convinced that this coup d'état committed against the legitimate
government of our Turks and Caicos Islands by the United Kingdom puts them
on the wrong side of history, for I can assure you that this action which
they have taken against us was not done because it is the right thing to do
nor because it is necessary, but rather it is being taken because they are
able to do such things in a country of our size and status.

"We as a people, however, should be comforted by the thought expressed by
Abraham Lincoln when he said that government of the people, for the people
and by the people shall never perish from this earth, for I am comforted in
the knowledge that our little Turks and Caicos, under God, shall indeed
have a new birth of freedom."

But the British Governor has dismissed the talks of a "take over," telling
citizens "we can finally move ahead together towards a fresh start for the
Islands."

"Our guiding principles will be those of transparency, accountability and
responsibility," Wetherell said. "I believe that most people in the Turks
and Caicos will join with me in welcoming these changes."

"This is not a ‘British takeover,’" he insisted.

"The British Government and I are committed to working towards holding free
and fair elections by July 2011. In the meantime we must all learn to
foster a quality of public spirit, listen to all those who have the
long-term interests of these Islands at heart, and safeguard the
fundamental assets of the Territory for future generations."

"Achieving a fresh start has to be a joint effort," Wetherell stressed. "As
we embark on this challenging new period, I trust and look forward to your
keen support."