[DEHAI] "Eritrea Daily" removed from Google News following user complaints (Good job)

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 13:08:42 EDT

July 15, 2009

Before Google News Removes Source, They Often Email Publication

I am pretty fascinated with how Google News works and how the workflow
runs there. I recently spotted a thread at the Google News Help forum
which shows how not only does Google review publications periodically,
but before removing publications, they may email those publications.

One site owner was upset his site no longer showed up in Google News.
Inbal, a Googler, informed this site owner that after receiving some
complaints from Google News users, the site was reviewed and removed.
Inbal said:

The reason why we stopped crawling your content since July is that we
periodically review news sources, particularly following user
complaints, to ensure Google News offers a high quality experience for
our users. When we reviewed your site we found that we can no longer
include it in Google News at this time.
We currently only include articles from sources that could be considered
organizations, generally characterized by multiple writers and editors,
availability of organizational information, and accessible contact
information. When we reviewed your site we weren't able to find this
evidence of an organization.

What was more interesting was that Inbal said they do try to contact the
publication before removing it, to get more facts about the complaints.
Inbal said:

"Please be assured that we tried to contact Eritrea Daily via email
before removing it from Google News to offer the necessary remedy,
however, alas, our emails bounced back, and due to some user complaints
about no evidence for an organization behind the source we took this
action, as we weren't able to find multiple writers and editors and
accessible contact information on your site."

In this case, the publication was restored and placed back in Google
News after being removed for a couple weeks. But learning about this
process, I admit, does fascinate me a bit.

This is what I call it responsibility. You guys are now asured me how
responsible you are when you crawl news. The case for Eritrea Daily is
the best example. It is a single person website who always write about
tribalism and division among the Eritrean population. I was wondering
how his articles are always on the top ten news lists whenever you
searched a news about Eritrea. He wrote nonsense that emanates from
hatered.

Good job Google news.

http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/020400.html