[DEHAI] In Defence of Eritrean History

From: Yacob Zecharias (yacobzech@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 18:01:49 EDT

Recently, a plethora of articles about Our history written by Ethiopians like Dawit Woldegiorgios, Tekeste Negash have appeared on various websites. The primary purpose of these articles is to present to the World a version of Eritrean History which is far from the truth. The common thread of these articles is that, Eritrea did not exist before the Italians,  that Eritrea can not exist by itself as it is devoid of natural resources and the great achievement of the Liberation Struggle was nothing but a myth perpetuated by the EPLF. In all the analysis of Eritrea, most non Eritreans tend to ignore precedence and try to view Our history through a narrow keyhole perspective. One of the main arguments of the detractors of Eritrean history seems to be, since Eritrea did not exist prior to the Italian occupation then Eritrea as a country can not exist. If we were to apply this warped logic to other African countries, it would mean that the all African countries should not exist. I am sure that, before the British there was neither Kenya nor Tanzania. Looking at Europe itself, countries like Germany and Italy should not exist. I have never heard anyone debate or question the 'German identity' nor the 'Italian identity'. The next line of attack seems to be that as Eritrea  has no natural resources, it can not sustain itself. The British think tank, Chatam House, went even further by saying that Eritrea can only exist as a parasite. However, looking at historical facts sheds a different light. The Italians invested heavily in Eritrea because they saw the potential. By the time the British had taken over, Eritrea was probably the most industrialised African country. Thanks to the British though, it took its place in the poor and deprived section of Africa. The British dismantled and took away practically everything from the Aircraft manufacturing plant in Ghinda to the Potash mine machinery in the South. After bleeding Eritrea dry, they then have the audacity to say that the Eritrean economy in the late 40s and 50s was failing. After the British came the Ethiopians. Hailesellasie was determined to subjugate Eritrea by depriving it of work and development. When the
 Ethiopians went into Eritrea, they did not know whether they were still in Africa or Europe. The difference between Eritrea and Ethiopia at the time (still is) was huge. Addis Abeba with its open sewers, narrow streets and mud huts could not compare to Asmara. Whereas, Eritrea boasted other cities like Dekemahre, Keren etc, Ethiopia had no second city as such. An English traveller in Ethiopia before the Italian occupation, described Addis Abeba, as a city which if it burnt down today, could be rebuilt exactly as it was the following day. When the British landed in Hong Kong, there were some who wanted to leave it and turn back because it was nothing more than a rocky fishing village. However, in less than 60 years, Hong kong became the 10th largest economy in the World. Its only resource then, was its ideal geographical location, much like that of Eritrea. Singapore, 40 years ago was described as a malaria invested island. Look where it is now, again its 'only' resource was its location. On the other hand, countries like Congo, Angola, Nigeria to name a few, don't seem to have capitalised on there vast amounts of natural resources. It is not a question of how much minerals there are lieing underneath the ground, but how well the resources are utilised, however meagre, that matters. The Ethiopian historians like Dawit Woldegiorgis love to belittle our history, but the truth is, Ethiopian history is one big myth, looking at recent Ethiopian history enables us to see this. Much has been said and written about how Ethiopia had never been colonised. One question that has never been asked is, Why did the British after defeating the Ethiopian Emperor Theodros decide to leave Ethiopia  at the height for the scramble for Africa? Could it be that, they saw nothing to keep them there? Yes, there might be some common ground between some parts of Eritrean and Ethiopian Society, namely language and culture. However, the ruling classes of Ethiopia have always seen Eritreans as foreigners. Some Eritreans who were fed up with Italian rule during the 1920s had made their way to Ethiopia, believing that they would fare better. Being better educated than most Ethiopians, they quickly occupied prominent places. Alarmed by this, the Ethiopian nobility gave Hailesellasie an ultimatum saying " Either get rid of these foreigners or consider your position". Hailesellasie succumbed to the demands and sent the Eritreans to far flung places like Jimma, Desie, Ambao etc. The disillusioned Eritreans, then began to identify themselves as Italians and began to say "be consulay" (address the matter through my Consulate) when the Ethiopian harassment became too much. This sort of treatment was quite prominent in Ethiopia. Although many Ethiopian historians have attempted to discredit the Eritrean Liberation struggle and the subsequent achievement, they are unanimous in ex halting the 'brave' Ethiopian resistance fighters that 'ousted' the Italians. They fail to mention that when the Italian army marched into Addis Abeba on  May 5 1936, they were welcomed as liberators by the local population. The Italians had camped on the outskirts of Addis Ababa for three days watching as the city descended into anarchy. They then marched into Addis Abeba and restored law and order. The Ethiopians were quite content to live under occupation. It was not until the Eritreans, Abraha Deboch and Moges Asgedom raised the Italians veneer through their assassination attempt, that the Ethiopians begun to resent the Italians. It was only thanks to the forces of the British Empire that the Italians were dislodged from Ethiopia. After the British had occupied Addis Abeba, they had prevented the
 Ethiopian forces from entering the city because of fears that the Ethiopian armed forces might start looting. Haileselassie only entered Addis Abeba a month after the British. Its quite interesting that the Dergue used to celebrate Megabit 28 the day the British liberated Ethiopia rather than Miazia 27 (May 5) the day Hailesellasie entered Addis Abeba. Wheras there is no ambiguity about May 24 1991. There is nothing that will change my view of Eritrean history. We have a long and proud history. No matter what others say, our recent history is a great source of pride. There is no spinning of yarns in Our history, those who lived through and followed closely the Eritrean Liberation struggle, know that many a brave feat has not been told because of the humbleness of those who participated in the struggle. So to those historians that wish to dismantle Our history, as the Good Book says, "take out the beam in your eye, before you point at the splinter in your brother's eye"  Yacob Zecharias