[DEHAI] US Department of State Daily Press Briefing - Re: Carson Vs Mugabe

From: Haile Abraham (haileab99@msn.com)
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 09:34:45 EDT

Daily Press Briefings : Daily Press Briefing -
Ian Kelly, Department Spokesman
US Department of State
Washington, DC
Mon, 06 Jul 2009

ZIMBABWE
· US Does Not Agree with Mugabe Comments
· US Concerns Regarding Mugabe are Well Known

QUESTION: Do you have anything on a meeting that Assistant Secretary Carson had in the last couple days with President Mugabe of Zimbabwe? He is quoted as having some uncomplimentary things to say --
MR. KELLY: Yeah.
QUESTION: -- about the Assistant Secretary. Anything to say on that matter?
MR. KELLY: Well, I’ve seen those media reports. I have tremendous respect for Assistant Secretary Carson. He is our most experienced diplomat in African affairs. He’s one of the most talented people we have. And I don’t see why anybody would have those – could use those kinds of characterizations.
QUESTION: You don’t agree with Mugabe’s characterization of him as an idiot?
MR. KELLY: I do not.
QUESTION: He also said that he hoped that Carson wasn’t speaking for Obama, and the quote from Mugabe is, “I told him he was a shame, a great shame being an African American,” referring to Carson. What do you make of this, particularly given the fact that his partner in power, Mr. Tsvangirai, was here last week – or two weeks ago?
MR. KELLY: Well, I guess I would just limit myself to saying that we – of course, our concerns about Mr. Mugabe are well known as well.
QUESTION: Well, can you – and forget about what Mugabe had to say to his own media there. What about the actual meeting? What happened at this meeting?
MR. KELLY: All I’ve seen is this – the media report. I don’t have a readout of the meeting itself.

QUESTION: So you don’t know if he – you don’t know if Carson was even in Libya for this AU summit?
MR. KELLY: Oh, no, he was there. He was there, yeah.
QUESTION: Okay. So what was he doing there? I mean, what was --
MR. KELLY: Let me get you more information on it.
QUESTION: Thank you.
MR. KELLY: Okay. Thanks.
(The briefing was concluded at 1:19 p.m.)