[DEHAI] Re: Eri-TV's Hollywood Content & Timing

From: Sammy G. (xxxxxx@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 02 2009 - 13:37:39 EDT

Selam Biniam,

I completely agree. Junk films such as "Pro-Wrestling" are inappropriate to young children. They promote violence, bullying & confrontation and have no value whatsoever in my opinion.

Speaking of inappropriate films, last night, ERI-TV showed a movie called "American Wedding" around 10:40PM Asmara time. My family caught a re-run around 9:40PM East Coast USA time.

Wow! I had to yank my kids from their seats faster than a fighter jet can yank a pilot from the ejection seat! The first scene of the movie is a conversation between a father and his son (and a girl under the table). And it included a type of sexual act and nudity that merits no mentioning. And the movie contains more offensive sexual language per scene than any movie I can think of.

Those of you who know or have heard of the "American Pie" film series know of what "American Wedding" can be like. It is essentially the same actors with the same over-sexualized Hollywood garbage. You may check the following link for a more fitting review of the film by Margaret A. McGurk of The Cincinnati Enquirer: http://cincinnati.com/freetime/movies/reviews/08012003_americanwedding.html

Don't get me wrong. I love ERI-TV. And I love the fact that ERI-TV staff is dominated by brilliant & young Eritrean professionals of the Warsai generation. I also personally think satellite broadcast of ERI-TV was one of the best thing to happen to Eritrea since independence. So I don't mean to criticize ERI-TV staff' over what is appropriate or not. Because they are the real professionals and they keep demonstrating their amazing skill and judgment.

But certain timing of ERI-TV's satellite programs and choices of Hollywood entertainment sucks. Ironically, it often feels like ERI-TV's evening/re-run for USA East/West coast consumption (8:00PM to Midnight) is usually dominated by same Hollywood junk that we try to get away from! (BTW, the Woyane satellite channel often serves news and analysis on those same ours).

Finaly, it's bad enough that some Asmara video shops and certain western "Dish" satellites channels continuously promote "digital cocaine" for the youth. But ERI-TV must resist such tasteless Hollywood content at any cost.

-Sammy G.