[DEHAI] Eri-TV needs to get its act together

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Jul 01 2009 - 18:28:11 EDT

Dear All!

Is it really appropriate to broadcast professional "wrestling" on
Eri-TV? Usually it is fight between two men or two sexy looking girls
wrestle while wearing minimal clothing, with the intention of presenting
an entertaining spectacle.

Here in Sweden, television programs that contain material unsuitable for
children, such as professional "wrestling", are broadcast only on
privately owned television stations between 11:30 pm and 5.30 am.

In Eritrea, wrestling is being broadcast on state-owned TV channel at
times when large numbers of children are expected to be watching. Is it
just me or something wrong here? I mean, how does an Eritrean father or
mother in Massawa, Assab or Tessenei explain stuff like women's
wrestling to their children who are sitting there watching it with them?
I think this is embarrassing, to say the least.

In my humble opinion, Eri-TV should stop broadcasting programmes that
lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value, such as
wrestling, silly Hollywood movies and the likes, and strives to become
an educational TV channel. Given what's happening in Iran these days,
the last thing we need is the Eritrean youth adopting a Western
identity.

Here in Sweden an educational TV channel is defined as one in which
educational programmes make up more than 50 % of the programming, and
cultural programmes more than 40% of the programming. I strongly
suggest that the Eri-TV stuff should take some time to develop something
like this.

Biniam Haile