[DEHAI] (US/UN) US Alternate Representative to the U.N. blames Eritrea for Somalia instability

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 22:28:26 EST

sam abrams [samab2021@yahoo.com]

[US MISSION TO THE UN IN NEW YORK] PRESS RELEASE: STATEMENT BY
AMBASSADOR ROSEMARY DiCARLO ON SOMALIA AT THE SECURITY COUNCIL

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Office of Press and Public Diplomacy

United States Mission to the United Nations

140 East 45th Street
New York, N.Y. 10017

Statement by Ambassador Rosemary DiCarlo, U.S. Alternate Representative
to the U.N. for Special Political Affairs, on Somalia, at the Security
Council, March 20, 2009

Thank you, Mr. President. I too, would like to welcome Foreign Minister
Omaar to the Council and thank him for his comments. My government
congratulates you, Mr. Minister and other members of the unity
government and assures you of our cooperation and support.

I would also like to welcome Special Representative Ould-Abdallah and
thank him for his briefing today.

Mr. President, recent events present an opportunity to make real
progress in Somalia. We welcome the election of President Sharif and the
unity government's move to Mogadishu. We must support the Somali people
so that they can take advantage of this opening.

We remain encouraged by the political progress made under the Djibouti
Agreement. My government strongly supports President Sharif's efforts to
encourage parties that are still outside the Djibouti Process to join
him to rebuild their troubled country.

In this spirit, we urge all groups that have yet to lay down their arms
and join the peace and reconciliation process to do so. Unfortunately,
the terrorist organization al-Shabaab has failed to join this process,
vowing instead not only to target the new government but also to
continue its campaign against AMISOM and humanitarian NGOs. At the same
time, Eritrea continues to provide financial, logistical, and political
backing to al-Shabaab and other extremists and has issued a formal
statement rejecting the new Somali government. We condemn these actions
by al-Shabaab and Eritrea: they serve only to prolong the conflict in
Somalia, and cannot be tolerated.

We highly commend the brave troops from Burundi and Uganda serving in
AMISOM, who continue to operate under difficult conditions. They are
doing crucial work in securing key infrastructure and allowing for the
delivery of humanitarian aid, and they deserve our support.

The United States for its part has provided logistical assistance to
AMISOM totaling over $100 million since 2007. We urge African Union
member states that have pledged to provide troops to AMISOM to arrange
to deploy them soon. And we strongly urge member states to support
AMISOM.

Of course, Somalia must begin to provide for its own security, and we
should consider ways to assist in the development of a Somali security
sector.

Mr. President, this Council has made significant efforts to address the
problem of piracy off the Somali coast. The United States is encouraged
by the international community's response. On any given day, ships from
15 to 20 different countries are now patrolling these waters.

My government also believes that the Contact Group for Piracy off the
Coast of Somalia is proving to be an effective coordinating mechanism
and we look forward to the third meeting of this group.

We also commend the Government of Kenya for offering to prosecute
suspected pirates captured by the international community. We urge all
states, especially those directly harmed by piracy, to help the Kenyan
government manage the logistical and financial challenges of prosecuting
suspected pirates. This is a burden that should not fall upon the
shoulders of Kenya and its neighbors alone.

Finally, let me thank the staff of the UN agencies and the aid groups
that are providing needed assistance to the Somali people under very
difficult and dangerous circumstances. We strongly condemn those who
impede the delivery of needed assistance through attacks against aid
workers and AMISOM troops.

Mr. President, progress in Somalia will not come easily. The
Secretary-General's upcoming donors' conference presents us with an
opportunity to support the Somalis during this critical period. Let's
take advantage of it.

Thank you, Mr. President.

http://www.usunnewyork.usmission.gov/press_releases/20090320_052.html