[DEHAI] DJIBOUTI: AMERICA'S AFRICA AMBITIONS (Blogs.mirror.co.uk/)

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 15:58:24 EST

AMERICA'S AFRICA AMBITIONS

By Chris Hughes on Mar 12, 09 03:47 PM in

AMERICAN military chiefs have secretly set up a defence base called
AfriCom to broaden the war against terror in Africa. Oops, I mean help
centralise and facilitate the broadening of the US aid programme
throughout the African continent.

Well I say they have "secretly set up a defence base" called AfriCom-
it's not really a secret. It's just that nobody sort of mentioned it.

The multi-million pound complex in the republic of Djibouti and is along
the lines of CentCom, which in 2003 headed up the US-led invasion of
Iraq from the desert Gulf State of Qatar.

Whilst we're on the subject, I wonder when a base ceases to be a
"defence base" and becomes an "attack base?"

At best American wants to centralise its aid programmes in Djibouti so
it can more efficiently dish out basic aid to satellite countries like
--- er Somalia?

But I've been speaking to various sources in the intelligence world, one
of whom told me:
"The world should be under no illusions about what American is doing
here.

"Under the guise of spreading aid to the continent of Africa, the US
Department of Defense is militarising the aid programme.

"On the one hand they will pump billions into redevelopment programmes
but they are also spreading their military power.

"Al-Qaeda networks across North Africa are a huge target and the CIA is
hugely involved in taking on the group.

"It will take some time before we see any aggressive action because of a
shortage of special forces troops.

"But it will happen and it will be controlled by AfriCom."

The Djibouti expansion was approved last year as America enjoyed the
results of the US surge in Iraq, quelling the insurgency.

But a huge expansion in US troop numbers in Afghanistan in the next few
months has blighted the AfriCom project.

US defence chiefs are currently installing more than 2,000 American
soldiers there, including marines and American army staff.

AmerIcan Special forces operatives from Delta Force and the Navy Seals -
trained along the lines of British SAS and SBS are particularly
overstretched.

They are needed in AfriCom because they are experts in
counter-insurgency and keeping the locals under control.

AfriCom was first designed as a military establishment in October last
year months before President Obama was inaugurated.

It has secretly taken up responsibility for an area currently soaked up
by three main global regions overlooked by US military power.

They are European Command - EuCom - Central Command - CentCom and
Pacific Command, known as PacCom.

Military sources tell me that . . . it is primarily a military base.

All of the other areas of responsibility - AOR - are bristling with
ground to air weaponry, US soldiers and military jets.

So there is no doubt that America is spreading its military might into
Africa.

The expansion also comes at a time when China is developing economic
expansion across Africa exploiting its mineral deposits.

Must be a coincidence.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/observation-post/2009/03/americas-africa-ambit
ions.html