[DEHAI] O.N.L.F Military Communiqué (ONLF)

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2009 - 16:18:46 EST

O.N.L.F Military Communiqué

20th Feburary 2009

Heavy Fighting between armed forces of the Ethiopian regime and the
Ogaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) has occurred in the area around
the cities of Fik and Degah Bur over the last 5 days. Over 140 Ethiopian
troops and associated militia have been killed as a result of these
engagements. The ONLF had a combined casualty total of 29 troops killed
and a dozen wounded during the course of these operations. The casualty
figures heavily favored our forces due to the nature of our operations;
In particular, surprise attacks and ambushing enemy military convoys.
The area around Degah Bur is now completely in the hands of the ONLF as
is the area around the city of Fik. These operations in the vicinity of
Degah Bur and Fik are a direct response to the massacre of nearly 48
civilians in the town Moyaaha in December 2008 and the more recent
killing of over 50 civilians in the town of Mulli in the Shinile area.

Ethiopian troops have now deployed armed helicopters in response to ONLF
military operations in the region. However, the pilots of those
helicopters target civilians and livestock instead of engaging our
ground forces directly in an effort to avoid ground fire yet still
discharge their payload. Ethiopian helicopter pilots often do this in
Ogaden out of fear of their commanders should they return to base with a
full payload of munitions.

The ONLF will continue and intensify these military operations. We will
target all of the regimes military units who enter Ogaden without
exception.

Ogaden National Liberation Front

Military Command Center (MCC)
http://www.onlf.org/onlfpress_fiiq.html