[DEHAI] allafrica.com: Uganda: Museveni Campaigns for EA Federation

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2009 - 08:52:02 EST

Uganda: Museveni Campaigns for EA Federation

Chris Ocowun and Dennis Ojwee

  _____

Kampala - PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has called on Ugandans to promote
patriotism and love for the East African Federation and Africa. Museveni
said this was the only way to achieve national targets.

The President said the Europeans were able to travel to the moon because of
unity. "We are only 30 million people. This cannot guarantee our interests.
We need Kenya, Tanzania and Southern Sudan because they offer us access to
the sea and bigger markets," Museveni said.

He was speaking to over 70 secondary school teachers from Gulu, Amuru, Pader
and Kitgum districts at Kaguta Multipurpose Hall at Laroo Boarding Primary
School last week.

The East African Federation is the name of the proposed development of the
East African Community. It is expected to bring together Burundi, Kenya,
Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda into a single state and is anticipated to start by
2013.

According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), with 1.8 million square
kilometres, the federation would be the fourth largest nation in Africa and
16th in the world.

The IMF says, with a population of about 127 million, it would also be the
second-most populous nation in Africa (after Nigeria) and 11th in the world
with a GDP per capita of $1,036.

Museveni urged Ugandans to learn about other societies in order to evolve
into a modern society. He said the African culture was under threat from
Europe and the West.

"We should try to learn all African languages. That is why I try to speak
most Ugandan languages. When am in the Acholi region, I try to speak the
Acholi language," Museveni said.

He urged the teachers to inculcate patriotism into the students and pupils
by encouraging them to form civic clubs.

Museveni said patriotism eradicates sectarianism.

"You should value all Ugandans irrespective of their tribes, religions and
gender. Even the Karimojong, who walk half-naked, are useful because they
pay taxes," he said.

Museveni said the doctors should not mistreat patients because they need
them. "Taxi drivers need passengers, teachers need pupils and politicians
need the people to vote for them," he said.

The President said he ordered for the workshop in order to respond to the
growing educational needs.

He said there were over one million students in more than 4,000 private and
government-aided secondary schools compared to only 190,000 in 1986.

In a memorandum read by the acting head teacher of Adilang Secondary School
in Pader, Cosmas Alex Lagoro, the teachers said poor pay and delay to
confirm teachers' appointments, were some of the disincentives to good
performance.

They also called for a review of the school curriculum to mainstream
patriotism.

"We as teachers support you for another term in office," Lagoro said.
Museveni said plans were underway to construct more seed secondary schools
with modern laboratories, well-stocked libraries and teachers' houses in
each sub-county.

He also said a technical college would be built in each sub-county
countrywide.