[DEHAI] (PANA) 'Iran should take its war with the int'l community away from the Red Sea': Meles

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2009 - 15:50:18 EST

Zenawi hails Kadhafi peace initiative in Ethiopia-Eritrea border crisis

Addis Ababa - 16/02/2009

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia - Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi has
welcomed Libyan leader Muammar Kadhafi's offer to mediate in the
long-standing border feud between Eritrea and Ethiopia but warned the
outcome might not be radically different.

"We welcome the steps but I have no belief this will be more radically
different from the previous efforts. The outcome is unlikely to be
different unless Eritrea changes its belief that there can be peaceful
end to this," Meles told reporters.

The Libyan leader, speaking during a visit to Eritrea in his new
capacity as the African Union (AU) Chairman, said he would give priority
to ending the border feud between the two countries during his year-long
tenure at the helm of the organisation.

"We welcome the initiative. I will be happy if the new Chairman will be
able to help us solve our political differences. he understands the
issues and it will be helpful if he can help," Meles said.

Ethiopia says it is ready to move to the demarcation of the border with
Eritrea but wants some kind of political concessions with Asmara.

Eritrea is unwilling to cede any political ground to Ethiopia and
insists the UN boundary commission decision is final.

The political standoff over the border has become a kind of no war no
peace situation.

Prime Minister Meles says he sees no hope of a quick solution with the
Eritrean President Isaiyas Aforwerki.

"Eritrea has stuck to its guns. We have indicated we are ready to move
to the demarcation. There is no legal demarcation we are ready to move
to the practical demarcation," Meles said.

African Union Commission officials are currently working on a new border
initiative aimed at showcasing the borders as the key sources of
Africa's political unity, rather than the point of disunity under a plan
funded by the Italian government.

The Libyan leader is reportedly seeking a solution to the border row
based on the outcome of the 2002 UN Boundaries Commission, which granted
Eritrea the village of Badme and created a 15-mile no combat zone.

Eritrea later declared a no fly zone around its territory, effectively
paralyzing the UN peacekeeping force that was monitoring the situation.

Meanwhile, Ethiopia has warned that certain activities being carried out
by the Iranian authorities around the Red Sea is a threat to regional
security.

Iran is reportedly arming Eritrea and has recently engaged in some
activities along the Eritrean part of the Red Sea that the authorities
in Addis Ababa say is a threat to peace.

"We are concerned that part of activities carried out by Iran appears to
threaten peace. This is a source of concern to us and we have discussed
this with the relevant authorities," Meles warned, adding that "Iran
should take its war with the international community away from the Red
Sea."

Addis Ababa - 16/02/2009

Pana
http://www.afriquejet.com/news/africa-news/zenawi-hails-kadhafi-peace-in
itiative-in-ethiopia-eritrea-border-crisis-2009021622081.html