[DEHAI] (BBC ) Canada Expels US Woman Deserter

From: wolda002@umn.edu
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 22:50:44 EST

 Canada expels US woman deserter

Canada has ordered the deportation of the first woman US soldier to have
sought asylum in the country to avoid being deployed to Iraq.

Kimberly Rivera, a mother of three, had requested permission to remain in
Canada on humanitarian grounds but her appeal was rejected.

She could face up to five years in prison when she returns to the US.

Some 200 deserters from the US military are believed to have fled to
Canada, some living incognito.

Mrs Rivera served in Iraq in 2006 but deserted a year later after refusing
to be redeployed.

The War Resisters Supporters Campaign, who are backing Mrs Rivera, said her
experience in Iraq was "a huge awakening" which convinced her that "the war
was immoral and that she could not participate in it".

Mrs Rivera and her family have been told they must leave Canada by the end
of January unless the court order is reversed.

Last year, the Canadian parliament passed a non-binding motion granting
asylum to deserters from the Iraq war.

But correspondents say the governing Conservatives opposed the motion, not
willing to risk upsetting Washington over the issue.

So far Canada has deported only one US deserter, Robin Long. He was
sentenced to 15 months in prison on his return.

Your comments:

Kimberly Rivera took an oath to "obey the orders of the President of the
United States and the orders of the officers appointed over her." If she
has moral qualms about serving she should not have joined.
1LT Michael Butler, Chicago, USA

If all soldiers refused to fight in illegal and immoral wars waged on lies,
there would be no more such wars. She should be allowed to stay.
Mark Wensley, Canada

Look - she joined the US armed Forces. She knew what it was all about. Why
should we allow her to live here? The US is our ally, why should we shelter
people who break US Law? The US is an open society, with the rule of law.
There is no reason for people from the US to seek "asylum" here. US courts
are fair, and will apply US law. Send her back.
Robert Orr, Toronto, Canada

Speaking as a Canadian citizen, wholly opposed to the United States
occupation in Iraq, I am ashamed that we would deny sanctuary to those in
the American military who are equally opposed. The government of this
nation shouldn't care about "upsetting" Washington on issues of human
rights. Historically, we're a nation of peace and peace-keeping. That we
should discard that legacy to please the government of the USA disgusts me.
Joshua Peters, Vancouver, Canada

I don't think my country should except Iraq war deserters. They are not
facing torture and life imprisonment in the USA. They will get a year in
prison and possibly less in this woman's case.
John, Toronto,Canada

I agree with the ruling of Canadian government to deport all US deserters.
They signed a contract to serve in the military on a voluntary basis. This
is not Vietnam where all enlisted military were drafted. The deserters want
all the benefits but not to serve their country during the war. They should
not have enlisted if they were against the war.
Ian, Vancouver, Canada

The fact that she already served and then decided for herself to desert
after seeing what was happening there is interesting. It's really shameful
that we can put someone into jail for refusing to go to a war, especially a
war of aggression such as this one.
Chris, Shenzhen, China