[DEHAI] (SMN) One AU soldier killed, another wounded in Mogadishu: AU spokesman

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 16:20:02 EST

AU peace keeper killed in Mogadishu

Shabelle: SOMALIA

MOGADIHSU (Sh. M. Network)-an AU peace keeper was killed and another one
was injured in a landmine blast that hit an AMISOM convoy in Mogadishu,
a spokesman said on Tuesday.

AMISOM spokesman, Maj. Barigye Ba-Hoku said a Ugandan soldier was killed
and another one was injured while they were on route duties of mine
sweeping along the road that connects K4, a base of AMISOM peace
keepers, and Aden Adde international airport in Mogadishu.

A Statement issued from their office in Mogadishu condemned the attacks
against peacekeepers and called for the Somali people to join condemning
them.

The statement said AMISOM will continue peacekeeping operations in
Somalia even, if the Ethiopian troops withdraw from Somalia.

"Forces from the TFG, ARS and AMISOM would jointly take over the areas
previously controlled by the Ethiopian troops and it will continue to
execute its obligations and duties to the people of Somalia," the
statement said.

The statement denied allegations from the leader of Al-shabab Sheik
Muktar Abu Subeyr, who said in a speech aired by local FM radio stations
that AMISOM medical personnel were spreading diseases to the Somalis
through health facilities.

AMISOM peacekeepers in Mogadishu provide health care to some Somalis
that go to their hospitals in Mogadishu.

"Our medical facilities and the services we offer are open, free and
accessible to all, including the al-shabab. No one has forced the
Somalis to seek for our services, except the conditions imposed upon
them by the senseless war," the statement added.

AU peace keepers from Uganda and Burundi form a 3,600-strong AU force
known as AMISOM that is propping up Somalia's government.

Analysts say the AU mission is too small to effectively counter
insurgent attacks.

Shabelle Media Network

By Ahmednor Mohamed Farah

gentlemannor@gmail.com