[DEHAI] SLIGHTED: EVEN IN DEATH

From: Amare T (amaret@ymail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 19:52:31 EST

Dear friends,   A week or so ago two death announcements were posted here in Dehai and other websites. Prof. Tekie Fessahatzion eulogized Prof. Jordan Gebre-Medhin and an obituary of the other decedent, Mr.Musie Mehari, was sent by a community organization. Both deaths were in Boston.   What prompted me to write this note is an announcement I read in one of the Eritrean websites indicating that a previously scheduled New Year's Eve celebration in Boston has been cancelled out of respect for Mr. Mehari and his family. I was totally and completely taken aback. Was it an honest oversight or a horrendous, deliberate and politically motivated omission? Both individuals passed away within a span of one week. Why was one decedent and his family recognized and the other shown pointedly disrespectful and indifferent treatment?   It is no secret that the Eritrean community in Boston, more so than other places, has for to long wallowed in a tumultuous and mutually destructive internecine turmoil. But the practice of slighting, even in death, a member of the Eritrean community, and an ardent nationalist to boot, is an infantile behaviour that is not worthy of anyone calling themselves Eritrean. This is an unprecedented low for Diaspora Eritreans. I believe the community organization in question has a responsibility to elaborate why and what drove them to commit such an insensitive and glaring blunder.   Regards,   Amare