[DEHAI] The truth about those Hamas rockets

From: wolda002@umn.edu
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 21:22:16 EST

The truth about those Hamas rockets
By Dennis Rahkonen
Online Journal Contributing Writer

Jan 1, 2009, 01:24

Five years ago, the Bush administration lied about weapons of mass
destruction to dupe us into supporting an illegal, immoral invasion of
Iraq.

A few days ago, Israel trotted out only an infinitesimally more credible
excuse -- the Hamas rockets case -- as justification for its own murderous
shock and awe in Gaza, a long-planned campaign perniciously aimed at
ousting a “regime” that came to power via popular, democratic vote.

Yes, such rockets exist, but they’re little more than slingshots against
Israel’s incredible military might, and they’re used out of desperation
by Palestinians who’ve never been accorded the democratic space within
which to gain redress of their eminently just grievances.

Israeli apologists have presented absurd propaganda about those devices.

We’ve been asked, for instance, what would we do if rockets were being
launched on our homes in New York or Texas, from Canada or Mexico?

The proper answer is that, if those two nations had been unlawfully
occupied or embargoed by the United States for 60 years of relentless
oppression and repression, and if all attempts at peaceful change had been
forcefully prevented or scuttled by the U.S., then such attacks would be an
understandable, indeed a justifiable attempt at gaining intolerably
deferred liberty.

Our appropriate response wouldn’t be to bomb the hell out of the nearest
Canadian or Mexican city, but to collectively look into mirrors and
earnestly ask ourselves, “What have we done wrong to incur their
wrath?”

And then act to correct the situation.

Conscientious Israelis acknowledge that the Hamas rockets rationale is
fraudulent. For instance, Jerusalem Post writer Larry Derfner has noted,
“We don’t want to see how people in Gaza are living, we block it out of
our minds -- which, I suppose, is natural for a society at war, but which
also keeps that war going longer than it might if we would recognize that
Gaza is getting so much the worst of it.

“The [Palestinian] Kassam [rockets] have terrorized the 25,000 people in
Sderot and its environs, but have caused very, very few deaths or serious
wounds. By contrast, Israel has terrorized 1.5 million Gazans, locked them
inside their awfully narrow borders, throttled their economy, and killed
and seriously wounded thousands of them . . .

“This is crazy. Israel is the superpower of the Middle East, but because
we still think we’re the Jews of Europe in the 1930s, or the Israelites
under Pharaoh, we spend a lot more time fighting our enemies than we might
if we looked at the whole picture, not just our half of it . . .”

As Gazan hospitals and morgues fill beyond capacity because of an ongoing
air assault that cruelly began at precisely the hour when countless
children were heading home from school, we’re expected to believe that
small craters mostly in empty Israeli fields constitute this terrible
episode’s chief sin.

Bugs bothered by sporadically impacting, glorified fireworks cobbled
together in backyard garages are ludicrously supposed to be the primary
problem, not human limbs and lives shattered by the most destructive
weapons that military science can produce!

At any point during the past six decades, Israel could have had peace,
simply by assenting to the great moral imperative of our time, namely the
Palestinians’ right to their own, unitary, sovereign homeland.

Something which Israel continues to resist tooth and nail.

Two years ago, in Southern Lebanon, Israel engaged in similar bombings in
civilian areas. Then, too, it maintained that only “terrorist” targets
were being hit. As impartial observers finally ascertained the truth, clear
evidence of enormous civilian carnage surfaced.

The Israeli leadership lied then, and it’s lying now.

There’s a veritable holocaust occurring in densely packed Gaza. Think
Guernica, or the Warsaw Ghetto, with all the searing irony that comparison
involves.

Apart from being an ethical travesty offending all decent hearts, it’s an
unpardonable outrage to especially Arab/Islamic peoples around the world.

Witness the angry demonstrations in cities across the planet.

It takes no extraordinary analytical prowess to appreciate that, when the
White House ridiculously blames what’s currently happening on “thugs”
in Gaza, and when moderate Arab states adopt an accommodationist position
pleasing the U.S. and Israel, a profound Arab/Islamic radicalization
billows and swells.

New Osama bin Ladens are being born as innocents in Gaza are getting ripped
to death by American-made Hellfire missiles, dispatched toward fleshly
targets by Israeli pilots.

In fact, the almost certain, counterproductive outcome of Israel’s action
makes us necessarily suspect that secret motives mistakenly judged by Tel
Aviv to be worth the risk are actually at play.

Three possibilities spring immediately to mind:

1) Obscenely using de facto genocide to give the present Israeli government
a “tough” image before upcoming national elections.

2) Roping Barack Obama into a harder pro-Israeli stance than Tel Aviv fears
he’d otherwise take.

3) Creating a manipulated, intensely propagandized situation that would
enable a desired Israeli attack on Iran.

Whatever the most deeply hidden reality, Israel’s gargantuan crime must
be universally condemned in the strongest possible terms . . . and halted
at once!
Dennis Rahkonen of Superior, Wisconsin, has been writing progressive
commentary with a Heartland perspective for various outlets since the
’60s.

Copyright © 1998-2007 Online Journal
Email Online Journal Editor