[DEHAI] Charlotte M. Brame: Author of Beyond Pardon

From: <hbokure_at_aol.com_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 10:28:17 -0500 (EST)

Charlotte M. Brame, the famous English novelist of the Victorian era is still well-known by her pen name: Bertha M. Clay. His Majesty, Emperor Haileselassie read "Beyond Pardon" during His exile in England where He lived at Lalibela House. After liberation, His Majesty asked to Dr. Kebede Michael, the most prolific writer of his time to translate the book into Amharic. Such order had to do with His aim of building a good society (melkam beteseb). The English version in narrative form is about five hundred pages, but he translated it by adapting skillfully and beautifully in poetic form--- about eighty pages in all. Also, his book translated into Tigrigna by Ato Tshaye during the late fifties. It was the favorite book among the incoming generation of post war Eritrea. It was reprinted in the late sixties. Our school teacher read for us this tragic story that is unacceptable in a family-oriented society such as ours. The book was adapted into play several times. It was this book that influenced me most as a poet from early on. I believe many Eritreans authors were inspired by this book too among whom Uqbay Weldegebriel and Dr. Asefaw Tekeste, the co-authors of magnum opus "nay misTir mahder." Upon the recommendation of Dehayers the book: " kab yQreta nlaEli" was reprinted by Yohanna Mahtem.

It is to be recalled that a couple of years ago meadna.com interviewed me via its major web site for all to read. During the interview session, I mentioned how Charlotte Brame influenced me during my formative years. That is how Mrs. Debby McNally whom the author related to her by her father side as the sister of great-great-grandfather found my name during her extensive search in the Internet. During the last two years, we exchanged several letters and e-mails concerning her tedious work in the States, Japan and in her home land. Finally, in collaboration with other scholars she compiled her scattered works into a full-blown bibliography. Following is the brief account of her Odyssey that shared with her family members and friends as well:-

20th February 2012

To my family and friends,

I remember when I was a young girl my grandma talking to me about a famous authors in the family her name was Charlotte Mary Brame and for 35 years the name stuck in my mind but it wasn't until I decided to research my family history in 2008 that I made the connection. Charlotte Mary Brame is the sister to my paternal great-great grandfather Benjamin Charles Law. I decided to research Charlotte and her literary works and this book is the end result of four years extensive research both in the UK and America. I soon began to realize that this was not going to be an easy task. Charlotte was a prolific English author but because there was no relevant copyright agreement, her works were reprinted widely in the United States under the signature " Bertha M. Clay", which was also employed freely for stories of similar character written by others. My aim and later my co-authors was to unravel the mystery concerning why and how her books were pirated in USA and of which books were her true works. Thus this is the first comprehensive list of more than two hundred works written by Charlotte it gives guidance concerning the hundreds of other titles that have been associated with her name and a detailed account of why and how this state of affairs came about. The book is formally an e-book published by Canterbury Christ Church University for the Victorian Research Fiction Guide series; it will be of help to academics and scholars studying Victorian Literature and Media at Universities and libraries throughout the world.

Through this research I have met and corresponded with some amazing people two of which I would like to mention are Keika Hari also from Tokyo, who I had the pleasure of meeting along with her delightful parents last summer in Hinckley, she has translated some of Charlotte's works into Japanese and is also publishing a book on Charlotte..... Also Haile Bokure living in Georgia , America. Haile is a teacher, an award winning poet and writer and has said it was was Charlottes book "Beyond Pardon" that influenced him most, he's also translated some of Charlotte's books into his native language Eritrea.

Finally I would like to dedicate this book to Marie Caltieri (also related to Charlotte) my second cousin and my teacher at primary school. Marie is an inspirational lady and whom I am lucky enough to be in her company. I am owe of her brilliance, she has such enthusiasm and vigor for life, now in her 80' she still doesn't let ill health interfere with what she wants to do whether it be studying the works of Jane Austin or hot air ballooning! She is the kind of person, when she speaks you listen, because what she has to say is so very interesting, a very intelligent lady having lived life to the fullest and will, I am sure pack in lots more for years to come.

One last note.... if my dad was here today, I hope he would be proud of what I have achieved for his maternal ancestor! My intentions have always been, when others wish to research Charlotte, Mary Brame (whether it is in the next ten or one hundred years), that they will have a bibliographical account to make their work a little easier!

Fondest regards
Debby McNally

Charlotte M. Brame
(1836-1884)