| Jan-Mar 09 | Apr-Jun 09 | Jul-Sept 09 | Oct-Dec 09 | Jan-May 10 | Jun-Dec 10 | Jan-May 11 | Jun-Dec 11 | Jan-May 12 | Jun-Dec 12 |

[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): CAR president urges rebels to let him finish his term

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 00:05:55 +0100

CAR president urges rebels to let him finish his term

By Paul-Marin Ngoupana

BANGUI | Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:45am EST

(Reuters) - Central African Republic President Francois Bozize on Tuesday
urged rebels threatening to enter the capital to lay down their arms and let
him complete the last three years of his term.

Fighters encamped within 75 km (45 miles) of the capital Bangui accuse
Bozize of reneging on a 2007 deal to give money and jobs to former rebels,
and their leaders are now split over whether to accept an offer of new
talks.

The rebellion poses the biggest threat yet to Bozize's near 10-year rule
over the former French colony - one of the world's poorest nations despite
its rich deposits of uranium, gold and diamonds.

"I repeat that I will not be a candidate in the 2016 election, so let me
finish my mandate, I only have three years left," Bozize said in a New
Year's Day address broadcast on state radio in the country's Sango language.

Bozize criticized his own army for a string of defeats during the Seleka
rebels' three-week advance on the city, and thanked troops from neighboring
Chad for reinforcing.

"The army has not played its role. Without the Chadian army we would no
longer be here ... I ask forgiveness from all the people in areas occupied
by the rebels," he said.

The criticism was a potentially risky move in a country whose history has
been marked by a series of coups and mutinies.

The European Union called on the government and rebels to reach a deal and
condemned reports of attacks on Bangui residents over the past few days.

"I call immediately on authorities to take all necessary measures to end,
without delay, all exactions against populations in Bangui neighborhoods
that undermine chances of a peaceful dialogue," said EU High Representative
Catherine Ashton in a statement on Tuesday.

She did not give any further details, but a rebel spokesman said there had
been reports of security forces and pro-government youth militia targeting
opposition supporters. Bozize's government has not commented on those
reports.

Bozize came to power in a 2003 rebellion and has depended on military
support from <http://www.reuters.com/places/france> France, Chad and other
countries to ward off a succession of rebel assaults.

France has said it will not defend Bozize's government this time, and has
urged Bozize, the rebels and the country's opposition to talk.

Hopes of a deal appeared to take a hit on Monday when rebel spokesman Eric
Massi said the group had "nothing to negotiate".

But another rebel official said on Monday Seleka leaders were divided over
whether to accept peace talks, with some factions ready to lay down their
weapons.

Regional leaders have agreed to send 360 extra troops to shore up CAR's army
this week - from <http://www.reuters.com/places/congo> Congo, Gabon and
Cameroon - adding to a more than 500-strong regional force made up mostly of
Chadian troops.

Chad President Idriss Deby, who heads the Economic Community of Central
African States, warned rebels on Monday not to advance beyond Damara, a
government-held town 75 km north of Bangui and the last buffer before the
capital.

The rebels meanwhile have called on CAR's army and regional forces backing
them to switch sides and turn on Bozize.

The rebels' rapid onslaught highlights instability in a country at the heart
of one of Africa's most turbulent and underdeveloped regions.

Central African Republic is one of a number of countries where U.S. Special
Forces are helping local soldiers track down the Lord's Resistance Army, a
rebel group which has killed thousands of civilians across four nations.

About 1,200 French citizens live in CAR, and France has a 600-strong force
in the country which it says it is using only to protect its nationals.

(Additional reporting by Ange Aboa in Bangui and Richard Valdmanis in Dakar;
Writing by Richard Valdmanis; Editing by Andrew Heavens)