[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Thousands fleeing S.Sudan clashes seek U.N. refuge

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:47:01 +0100

Thousands fleeing S.Sudan clashes seek U.N. refuge

<http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrICri_XNNQvUsA2AMtrOV_;_ylu=X3oDMTFiN2pzZDVy
BG1pdANBcnRpY2xlIEhlYWQEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQXJ0aWNsZUhlYWQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTJzOW
dvaXA4BGludGwDeGUEbGFuZwNlbi1hZQRwc3RhaWQDNDAyMzhhMmYtNDM4YS0zYTAwLWIxNzQtZD
Y0M2UyNWYyZTBkBHBzdGNhdANsaWZlc3R5bGUEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=0/SIG=11bs9g85h/
EXP=1357238719/**http%3A/www.reuters.com/> Reuters Middle EastBy Charlton
Doki | Reuters Middle East - 43 minutes ago

* Protest began after bodies of Dinka tribesmen found

* At least 13 killed, medical source

* Thousands seek refuge at U.N. compound in Wau

* S.Sudan plagued by tribal violence, rebellions

(Updates death count)

JUBA, Dec 20 (Reuters) - Youths armed with sticks, machetes

and spears battled police in a South Sudanese town, forcing

thousands of civilians to seek refuge in a U.N. compound,

officials and witnesses said.

At least 13 people died in the clashes that broke out on

Wednesday in the northern town of Wau, a medical source told

Reuters.

South Sudan won independence from Sudan last year. Since

then its government has struggled to assert control over an

impoverished country the size of France that is awash with arms

after decades of civil war, rebellions and tribal clashes.

Details were unclear but government spokesman Barnaba Marial

Benjamin said the latest clashes broke out after the bodies of

six Dinka tribespeople were found in the town.

It was believed the six were among 28 farmers abducted in

retaliation for another outbreak of deadly violence in Wau

earlier this month when security forces opened fire on a protest

against plans to relocate a local authority's headquarters.

"Six bodies were brought to Wau town three days ago raising

tension among various communities in Wau, which is believed to

be the cause of yesterday's violence," Benjamin told a news

conference in the capital Juba.

It was not immediately clear why the kidnappers had chosen

to abduct those farmers.

Human rights groups regularly accuse South Sudan's army and

police, a collection of former guerillas, of heavy handed

tactics and human rights abuses - charges dismissed by the

security forces.

Up to 300 armed Dinka youth set fire to several buildings in

Wau, the main town of South Sudan's Western Bahr El Ghazal state

which borders Sudan, according to the United Nations. Police

used teargas to disperse the protest, while shooting could be

heard, residents said.

"Some youths ... began the shooting. Police intervened and

began exchanging fire with them," a witness told Reuters.

Benjamin declined to give details of any casualties, saying

only the government "regretted the loss of lives and destruction

of property".

MORE DEAD?

Kouider Zerrouk, spokesman for the U.N. Mission in South

Sudan, said thousands of civilians, mainly women and children,

had sought refuge at the U.N. compound in Wau.

"They are under the protection of the mission," he said.

James Deng Dimo, a journalist in Wau, said he had counted

four dead bodies and seen several injured people in hospitals.

"People are telling me that there are over 15 killed," he

said, adding that he had seen people wounded by machetes, sticks

and gunshot.

A medical source at a local hospital said five people had

died at her hospital and as many as eight had died at another

hospital.

"Other patients were taken to Comboni Hospital (another

local hospital) and others to small clinics around town. It

appears the number is higher than what I know," the source said,

asking not to be identified.

There were no report of further fighting on Thursday and

hundreds of police officers patrolled the streets after

reinforcements arrived from the capital Juba by plane. Many

residents were leaving the town.

"They are going to the rural areas because they fear there

might be a repeat. Where I am standing I can see people

carrying luggage like mattresses, beds and bags," Dimo said.

A lack of efficient state bodies and widespread violence has

hampered plans to attract investment to a country rich in

fertile land, oil and minerals.

(Reporting by Charlton Doki and Ulf Laessing; Editing by Andrew

Heavens)