[Dehai-WN] Newvision.co.ug: Rwanda: President Blasts Western Powers Over Aid

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:06:46 +0100

Rwanda: President Blasts Western Powers Over Aid

By Cyprian Musoke, 19 December 2012

Kigali - IN the face of unending criticism from Western powers, Rwandese
President Paul Kagame has scoffed at the withdrawal of aid by some
countries, saying Rwanda will sustain its economic growth.

He was on Tuesday breaking ground and laying the foundation stone for the
construction of headquarters for the Rwanda Patriotic Front (RPF) in
Rusororo on the outskirts of Kigali, as part of activities to mark 25years
of the Founding of RPF.

President Yoweri Museveni is expected to attend the Thursday climax of the
week-long series of activities marking the silver jubilee at Amahoro Stadium
in Kigali.

Ugandan sources confirmed that Museveni is expected to jet into Kigali on
Wednesday. Other African heads of state are expected at the Thursday
celebrations.

"The more RPF grows older the stronger it becomes. This (headquarter)
initiative is aimed at showcasing the Rwandese energy and capacity to be
self reliant, and that no one can come from abroad and build our capacity
like this facility."

"When donors come and build such facilities, they expect something in
return. Rwanda has developed capacity to build our own country and sustain
the activities of RPF since the last 25 years," he stressed, to a crowd of
cheering supporters.

Kagame's remarks were in reference to a UN panel of experts which accused
Rwanda of backing the M23 rebels in an addendum released in June, prompting
several donor countries to freeze aid. The country has resorted to a
self-help initiative termed Agaciro (diginity), aiming at self sufficiency.

Kagame urged Rwandese not to let the facility that will be equipped with
State-of-the Art technology benefit only the Party, but to use it for
training at a small fee for the benefit of the country.

The discipline that defined RPF, he dded, will also be the basis of the
continuous struggle for self-reliance.

Earlier, Kagame laid a foundation stone of the National Liberation Museum at
the historic Mulindi site in Gicumbi District. He stressed that Murindi was
Key to the liberation of Rwanda.

Mulindi served as the Rwandan Patriotic Front headquarters from August 1992
to July 1994.

President Kagame urged Rwandans to know where they come from to know where
they are going and what they must do to get there.

Kagame expressed confidence that building on the country's history "we will
accomplish even more in the coming years".

Minister of Culture Protais Mitali said the museum will teach all of
Rwandans about the liberation struggle and ensure it is never forgotten.