[Dehai-WN] Independent.co.uk: Islamists tighten their brutal hold on northern Mali

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:09:59 +0100

Islamists tighten their brutal hold on northern Mali

Al-Qa'ida-linked militants step up their campaign of atrocities, raping
women and young girls and recruiting boy soldiers

<http://www.independent.co.uk/search/simple.do?destinationSectionUniqueName=
search&publicationName=ind&pageLength=5&startDay=1&startMonth=1&startYear=20
10&useSectionFilter=true&useHideArticle=true&searchString=byline_text:%28%22
Sudarsan%20Raghavan%22%29&displaySearchString=Sudarsan%20Raghavan> Sudarsan
Raghavan

SEGOU, MALI

Sunday 16 December 2012

On a sweltering afternoon, Islamist police officers dragged Fatima al-Hassan
out of her house in the fabled city of Timbuktu. They beat her up, shoved
her into a white pickup truck and drove her to their headquarters. She was
locked up in a jail as she awaited her sentence: 100 lashes with an
electrical cord. Her crime? Giving water to a male visitor.

The Islamist radicals who seized a vast arc of territory in northern Mali in
the spring are intensifying their brutality against the population,
according to victims, human rights groups and UN and Malian officials. The
attacks are being perpetrated as the United States, European countries and
regional powers are readying an African force to retake northern Mali, after
months of hesitation.

But such an action, if approved by the UN Security Council, is unlikely to
begin until next summer, and refugees fleeing the north are bringing with
them dark stories. They say the Islamists are raping and forcibly marrying
women, and recruiting children for armed conflict. Social interaction deemed
an affront to their interpretation of Islam is zealously punished through
religious courts and police. Two weeks ago, the Islamists publicly whipped
three unmarried couples 100 times each in Timbuktu, human rights activists
said.

The Islamist police had spotted Ms Hassan giving water to a male visitor at
her house last month. Her brother knew an Islamist commander and pleaded for
mercy. After spending 18 hours in jail, she was set free with a warning. The
next day, she fled to Segou, a town in southern Mali that has taken in
thousands of displaced northerners, mostly women and children. It was
fortunate, she said, that she was handing the glass to her friend out on the
veranda. "If they had found me with him near the bedroom, they would have
shot us both on the spot," she said.

Radical Islamists have transformed vast stretches of desert in the north
into an enclave for al-Qa'ida militants and other jihadists. People are
deprived of basic freedoms, historic tombs have been destroyed, and any
cultural practices deemed un-Islamic are banned. Children are denied
education. The sick and elderly die because many doctors and nurses have
fled, and most clinics and hospitals have been destroyed or looted.

On 9 October, Mariam Conate, 15, was walking to her uncle's house in
Timbuktu. She had forgotten to fully cover her face. Two Islamist police
officers confronted her. "One held me, the other beat me with the barrel of
his gun," she recalled. "They took me to their headquarters and threw me
into a room. They locked the door and left." Outside, her jailors discussed
her future. One wanted to cut off her ears. The other wanted to send her to
a prison where six of her friends had been raped.

Publicly, the Islamists have claimed moral righteousness, banning sex before
marriage. In August, they stoned a couple to death after accusing them of
adultery. Now the Islamists are systematically asking men and women who walk
together whether they are married. In the town of Kidal, the Islamists are
making lists of unmarried pregnant women to punish them and their partners.
To reward their troops' loyalty, the Islamists have found a religious
loophole. They have encouraged fighters to marry women or girls, some as
young as 10, and often at gunpoint. After sex, they initiate a quick
divorce. In a case that has shocked the country, a girl in Timbuktu was
forced last month to "marry" six fighters in one night, according to a
report in one of Mali's biggest newspapers.

Boys, too, are being abused. With a possible war looming, some as young as
10 have been taken to training camps, where they learn to use weapons and
plant homemade bombs, UN officials and human rights activists say. And as
the economy worsens in rebel areas, some parents have "sold" their children
to buy food or curry favour with the Islamists.

The extremists have not stopped at destroying ancient mausoleums and shrines
in Timbuktu, which was an important centre of Islamic learning 500 years
ago. Inside his barber shop, Ali Maiga, 33, had a mural of hairstyles
favoured by American and French rappers on the wall. The Islamists sprayed
white paint over it, he recalled, and warned him that he risks being whipped
if he shaves off anyone's beard.

Dedeou, a labourer, suffered even more. He recalled having no attorney when
he stood before an Islamic judge on charges of stealing a mattress.
Afterwards, he said, police tied his arms and legs and took him to a
clearing near the Niger River, where a man gave him two injections that put
him to sleep. Dedeou woke up in a hospital. His right hand had been
amputated. An Islamist fighter, standing guard at his bedside, uttered a
judgment that Dedeou said he could never forget: "This is the punishment God
has decided for you."