[Dehai-WN] Yementimes.com: Shawqi Al-Mikhlafi to the Yemen Times: "[The] dialogue cannot be held as long as some still hold the trigger to explode the military situati

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:08:09 +0100

Shawqi Al-Mikhlafi to the Yemen Times: "[The] dialogue cannot be held as
long as some still hold the trigger to explode the military situati

Published on 10 December 2012 in
<http://www.yementimes.com/en/1632/intreview/> Interview
 <javascript:void(0)> Sadeq Al-Wesabi (author), <javascript:void(0)>
Mohammed Al-Samei (author)

 <http://www.yementimes.com/get_img?ImageId=1666> Shawqi Al-Mikhlafi says
that there are still too many unaccounted for revolutionary abductees. The
National Dialogue will never be successful unless this issue is dealt with
he says.

Shawqi Al-Mikhlafi says that there are still too many unaccounted for
revolutionary abductees. The National Dialogue will never be successful
unless this issue is dealt with he says.

Shawqi Al-Mikhlafi, the head of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Supreme
Coordination Committee of the Revolution and the Preparatory Committee for
the Youth General National Conference (YGNC), said the revolutionary youth
were surprised to learn their percentage of representation in the National
Dialogue Conference (NDC) is 40 seats. He says this percentage does not
genuinely represent the youth's interests.

In an interview with the Yemen Times, he said the YGNC, a conference
intended to gather youth to present unified demands for the NDC, should
finally take place this month or at the latest, January. The conference has
been deferred due to a lack of financial support.

Al-Mikhlafi also commented on other issues that will pave the way for the
National Dialogue like the unification of the army and the release of
revolutionary detainees.

Q: Can you give a brief glimpse at why you called to hold the Youth General
National Conference (YGNC)?

As a result of the signing the Gulf Initiative, the youth deserve to have
their mature vision about national issues [presented] before the start of
the National Dialogue Conference (NDC). Because of this concern, a
ministerial committee was set up in order to communicate with the youth in
the squares. This committee contacted the revolutionary factions in the
square.

Holding the YGNC is a must. By the end of June, a preparatory committee was
set up, which included different opinions from the squares for the purpose
of variety, which is in line with diverse national issues that need to be
highlighted in the conference. We deem ourselves ready to hold the
conference. Currently, preparatory committees are set up in the
governorates, which should represent all the revolutionary factions in the
squares nationwide.

Q: Some criticize the Islah Party, saying it took the lion's share [of
seats] when the conference's Preparatory Committee was established in June.

At the time of establishing the Preparatory Committee, the only thing we
were thinking about was the national revolution. The formation of the
committee represented all revolutionary groups. When the February 11
revolution broke out, we came out bearing our coffins on our shoulders. The
square united us, and we divided one piece of bread amongst us, regardless
of different ideologies. I believe the youth have their opinions, as do the
Islamists, the liberals and the leftists. However, the revolution united
them in the square for the sake of the nation. Politics cannot divide them.
It is untrue that the Islah Party is has a strong presence, and the others
do not.

Q: What are the major issues that will be highlighted at the conference?

The conference will discuss several major issues. The most important is the
political field, which will discuss the constitution, the transitional
justice law, the Southern issue, the issue in Sa'ada, the independence of
the judiciary, the fair distribution of government jobs, the youth's
political participation and the election. The economic and the social
sphere, as well as education and sustainable development will be all
discussed. [Universal] freedoms and rights, as well as the rights of women
to take part in politics will be discussed as well. There will be ten
workshops to highlight these issues.

Q: Will your conference highlight the same issues that the National Dialogue
Conference will discuss?

The Preparatory Committee for the youth conference was the first to mention
these issues. Anyways, it does not really matter who mentioned these issues
first. These national issues should be dealt with seriously because they
concern all Yemenis. It is normal that the NDC will discuss the same issues
that we already raised because we live in the same country.

Q: Have you reached an agreement regarding the timing of the conference?

It was supposed to be held by the end of October or in the middle of
November. However, the delay of donor support [caused us to] postpone the
conference. Now we are in contact with the government. The [funding] support
process still hinders the start of the conference. We signed an agreement
with the government that says it will be responsible for contacting the
donors in order to secure support for the conference. The government
currently shoulders a historic responsibility because the Gulf Initiative
clearly stipulates the youth should be able to present their vision about
the future of Yemen and the type of governance [needed] for a new Yemen.

Q: What about a timeline for the conference?

There will be ten workshops, and each one will last two days. Ten youth,
female and male, will take part in each workshop. We decided that women will
participate in every committee and workshop in all governorates with at
least 30 percent representation. Each workshop will have a representative,
and each workshop will talk about a particular area. When all workshops come
to an end, in all governorates, the representative will meet to have final
workshops in Sana'a for two days.

These [selected] 21 youth [representatives] will meet in order to come up
with a youth vision about the particular topic they discussed. When all the
final workshops are done in the capital city, the findings of the youth in
terms of the serious national issues will be compiled and then declared in a
draft that will be distributed to the public on the day of the announcement
of the conference.

Q: Will the outcome of the conference represent the youth's final vision
that will be presented at the NDC?

Yes, when the youth peaceful revolution broke out, many political factions
said, "We are with the youth." However, they now say the youth do not have a
joint vision. I believe past conflicts among the political factions are a
stumbling block for the National Dialogue. As youth, we do not have such
legacy. And we certainly believe we will discuss the national issues with
souls full of honesty and free of rifts, disputes and wars.

The political parties have tried everything in the country. They tried war,
political disputes and a media war. The country has reached the current
situation that reflects poverty and polarization. The 33-year rule of the
deposed President Ali Abdullah Saleh was used to nourish conflict in the
country in order to guarantee his stay in office and pass power to his son.
Now we are telling political parties that we will discuss national issues
and come up with an honest, youth vision about national issues. We will put
political parties to the test; we will see their credibility in the youth.

Q: Some state that there will be disagreements among the youth, and they
will not reach to a joint vision. What do you think?

It is normal that differences arise. My speech is true, but it likely has a
mistake. The others' speech is wrong, but I may bear a truth. We may differ
in terms of our opinions, yet our goal is but one that we will not disagree
about. Our goal is to build our beloved nation that we sacrificed everything
for. A variety of viewpoints makes for a successful dialogue.

Q: Can you promise the youth conference will be held this month or in the
month to come?

Of course, but the obstacles are many. The camped in the squares though
their potential was small when they started. So the youth will work to hold
the conference irrespective of inadequate support and the attempts of some
factions to foil it. The conference will be held, and the Yemeni revolution
will accomplish its goals.

Q: What do you think about the percentage of youth representation in the
NDC?

This is a long story that started with the formation of the Presidential
Outreach Committee. Before this committee, there was a ministerial one
created to connect with the youth. We believe in nothing but the rule of
Allah's Sharia on earth and domination of justice everywhere.

Q: What made political parties sign the immunity law even though they were a
part of the revolution?

This question must be directed to them, but we [revolutionary youth] do not
accept this law. One day, the relatives of the killed and wounded will
revenge them regardless of the signed agreements. The revolutionary youth
will work to make this day come soon.

Q: What about the youth's resentment of their share of representation in the
National Dialogue Conference?

Unfortunately, the youth were not represented in the Technical Committee in
spite of their great role in achieving change in Yemen. Although Jamal
Benomar, the patrons of the Gulf Initiative, President Hadi and the prime
minister promised, when we met with them for several times, that the youth's
representation will meet the their change aspirations, we were surprised
with the representation allotment in the NDC.

The 40 youth members are not the real representation of the youth. We were
astonished to learn that 20 percent of the youth are affiliated with the
political parties. This is a political chicanery because when the youth took
to the streets, even those young men who were affiliated with political
parties, they affected change for the whole country

Q: What are the things that must take place in preparation for the dialogue?

We have set key points that must be focused on prior to the dialogue. We
should not start the dialogue while the capital is still divided. The army
must be unified under one leader to guarantee that whatever happens in the
dialogue will be achieved on the ground. What is there to ensure no
political party will refuse what was achieved in the dialogue? I think it's
illogical to enter the dialogue while the military is still divided and
weapons are being distributed in streets.

Three months ago, we met with President Hadi and gave him those points, and
he promised to start restructuring the military. We know that the
reorganizing of the army will take a long time but unifying it under
national leadership needs only a brave decree from Hadi because he is
currently required to meet the demands of all Yemenis to restructure the
military.

Another point needed to pave a way for the dialogue is to release all
revolutionary abductees. There are multiple orders to release them, but
nothing has been implemented. Each month, we encounter abducted,
revolutionary people thrown by the wayside who were tortured and [now]
suffer from a loss of memory.

Q: How many abductees are still in custody?

There are no accurate statistics, but at the very least, dozens are still in
prisons, according to complaints that the legal committee at the Sana'a's
Change Square received.

Q: Do you blame anyone for that?

This does not need an answer because the responsible [party] is the one who
was toppled by the youth. He used tanks and armored vehicles against them
and also abducted them. I'm pretty sure that there are many abducted people
who we don't know about.

Q: You accuse the National Security Bureau of arresting the youth but
officials there deny this?

About ten days following the refutation of the National Security Bureau's
undersecretary that they had any arrestees, a revolutionary, young man was
abandoned in the Nokom area, not very far from the National Security
[headquarters]. He was in an uncertain state, tortured and suffering from
loss of memory. Where was this revolutionary young man?

Also we met with the interior and defense ministers and they have denied
having any revolutionary arrestees - while, on the same day, a 13-year-old
tortured, young man was abandoned in the Damt area of Dale' governorate.

So far, the government has no total control over the security bureaus, the
Central Security Forces' military camps and the Republican Guards because
the former president's relatives are still controlling them.

Q: How do you, in the Change Square, evaluate what has been achieved after a
year of signing the Gulf Initiative?

Whoever says that the revolution has achieved nothing is mistaken because it
has achieved certain goals. It toppled the regime of one family and brought
a new president and a new government even by way of a political compromise.
Politics accepts half solutions, but the revolution is still in change
squares and revolutionary youth are determined to achieve their goals, even
if it is slowly.

We all know illiteracy and poverty rates and tribal divisions among Yemenis
are due to Saleh's regime. The ousted president has billions of dollars, and
he is using it to obstruct the revolution. However, the revolution was able
to achieve many things. The revolution has become a culture among Yemenis in
public and private institutions. It has passed on a message that the time of
tyranny has passed, and now is the time of dignity and freedom. Saleh's
regime introduced Yemenis as beggars and terrorists, but we preferred a
peaceful revolution even though we own weapons.

Q: How long do you intend to remain in Sana'a's Change Square because the
residents near the square have demanded you leave?

First, I want to thank the residents in neighborhoods near change squares
across Yemen because they tolerated many sufferings. We appreciate that and
apologize for everything that happened to them. We took to the streets for
the sake of all Yemenis so we have to help each other. Great things need
sacrifices to be achieved and they [people] and their participation in the
revolutionary process will be named in history.

Q: Do you support federalism or secession as [the new form of government]
for the state?

I'm optimistic that Yemen will remain unified because Yemenis have been
unified since a long time ago. If the state provides equal rights for all
Yemenis in the South and the North, they all will support unity. The
Southerners support the unity more than anyone else, but due to the torture
and injustice they suffered, they have resorted to secession. I read a
recent study which pointed that only 15 percent of the state's leaders are
southerners and this is a huge mistake.