[Dehai-WN] Africanarguments.org: The U.S. Pivots (Slightly) Toward Africa

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 12:58:25 +0100

The U.S. Pivots (Slightly) Toward Africa

- By Michael Keating

December 9, 2012

There is an old saying, 'if you're a hammer, you will see everything else as
a nail.' Today there is no bigger hammer in the world than the U.S.
military, and in one of its newest interests, the continent of Africa, nails
are sprouting everywhere.

Just this week (as reported in the New York Times and elsewhere) General
Carter Ham, Commander of AFRICOM, the United States Africa Command, speaking
at the Homeland Security Policy Institute at George Washington University,
said that "as each day goes by, Al Qaeda and other organizations are
strengthening their hold in Northern Mali."

He also suggested that the radical elements in Mali have joined forces with
Boko Haram, the Nigerian terrorist network: "We have seen clear indications
of collaboration among the organizations" with financing coming from a
profitable portfolio of activities ranging from kidnapping to drug, gun and
even tobacco running.

In the absence of a completed plan for the retaking of Mali, which Ham
insisted would be undertaken solely by African troops with logistical and
training support coming from the outside (the "Somalia" model, as some are
dubbing it), Ham does not believe the operation will be smooth. Nor will it
even necessarily prove successful, given the strength of the enemy and the
ill-preparedness of the ECOWAS assault forces, which, as Ham noted, have
been trained and equipped for peacekeeping missions, not offensive
operations.

Last month, at a Chatham House presentation, General Ham laid out the
foundation that underlies these remarks. Admitting that Africa has largely
been an "afterthought" for the American military, he explained that recent
events in the Sahel, Somalia, and Central Africa have brought America
directly into the fight against Al Qaeda and other freelance terrorists
whose defeat is the number one U.S. military objective. He went on to list
the broader U.S. objectives of fostering security, assisting economic
development, promoting democracy, and supporting humanitarian efforts where
necessary.

While unremarkable in itself, General Ham's talk was significant because it
was one of the very few times that a high-ranking U.S. official, military or
otherwise, has suggested that the United States government actually has a
new policy on Africa. Past U.S. policy has certainly had very mixed results
and some of it has caused more harm than good, most notably in the case of
the Clinton administration's bungling during the Rwandan genocide and its
tepid response to the debacles in Liberia, Darfur and the Congo.

In any case, while the full inside story of U.S. Africa policy since the end
of the Cold War remains to be written, the creation of AFRICOM and the
remarks by General Ham seem to suggest that a new chapter is beginning. So
what should this policy look like? In the case of Mali, as mentioned by
Walter Carrington, former U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, at a recent talk at
the University of Massachusetts Boston, it was the U.S. that trained the
military officers who staged the coup (undoubtedly without Washington's
backing) that toppled the freely elected government. This kind of support
hardly seems like a promising fresh start for a policy aiming towards peace
and stability. For Ambassador Carrington this 'militarization' of U.S.
policy in Africa may have many more negative outcomes.

Nevertheless, if the United States is truly interested in a more robust
engagement in Africa it needs to concentrate on the following:

Intelligence - Before doing anything in Africa, tacticians need to know what
is happening on the ground, who are the key players, what are their
motivations and capabilities, and what the risks may be. This will require a
serious upgrading of human intelligence capabilities in regions like the
Sahel, the Congo, Sudan, and Somalia. It will also require coordination
among the CIA, the Defense Intelligence Agency, and the State Department,
along with African governments and other external partners.

Unlike the British and the French, the Americans lack long-standing networks
for gathering and verifying information. Satellite and drone surveillance
systems will not accomplish the essential mission of meticulously separating
friend from foe, the innocent from the threatening. As long as African
governments are going to ask for American assistance, there needs to be an
independent intelligence-gathering operation in place so that American
diplomats and soldiers will commit only when the risks are known and
achievable goals have been established. This holds for development
assistance as well as any kind of military action.

Integrity - When Americans say that promoting democracy is one of the key
pillars of their Africa policy, they should mean it. That means no more
uncritically supporting ersatz democrats like Paul Kagame and Yoweri
Museveni. It means following up in South Sudan - an American instigated
project if there ever was one- to make sure that the country does not
descend into chaos. It means being very careful who gets weapons and
training and making it very clear that serious consequences will follow if
forces trained by Americans turn on legitimate governments, as was the case
in Mali.

One of Susan Rice's problems right now, as she positions herself as the next
Secretary of State is her close (some say too close) relationship with Paul
Kagame. It was Rice who tried to get the U.N. to back down from a report
pointing out Rwanda's support for the M-23 militias in Congo. To her credit,
she has spoken out at times against Kagame's undemocratic impulses. But in
some ways Rwanda is becoming like Israel for U.S. policy makers: its leaders
can act with impunity.

Investment - Americans talk a good game when it comes to investing in
Africa, but the evidence of their enthusiasm is slim outside of South Africa
and the various oil and ore patches. Right now there are tremendous
opportunities throughout the continent in banking, telecoms, agriculture,
construction, and retail. Nonetheless, when you drive around West Africa,
you see mostly NGO logos rather than corporate ones. The consequences of
this neglect include massive unemployment and a general feeling that the
continent is being left behind.

Perhaps the best place for U.S. foreign policy to start would be to offer
serious help in upgrading African universities, many of which are in
shambles. Extension of favorable trade status, particularly in the
agriculture section would also help along with massive increases in direct
aid for infrastructure projects.

Without doubt, the risk factor is a major obstacle to increased U.S.
investment. However, Americans need to put down their prejudices and go see
what's happening for themselves. The World Bank has a unit called the
Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency that provides business risk
insurance to businesses investing in developing countries. American
entrepreneurs ought to be lined up outside its door.

Semper Fidelis - This motto of the U.S. Marine corps, 'always faithful,'
should be the motto of U.S. policy in Africa. Americans need to keep faith
with their own principles of freedom and justice for all rather than
'friends before facts.' For too long, from Mobuto to Museveni, America has
taken self-serving short-cuts on policies that have left African heads
spinning.

Why send 100 Special Forces to hunt down Joseph Kony and none to save lives
in the Congo? Some analysts believe it was a thank-you gesture to Uganda for
its support of the military effort in Somalia. In the end there is nothing
essentially wrong with this kind of quid pro quo, but what of countries that
have little to barter with? Do they get no attention from Washington? Is
our strategic assistance going to be dispensed as part of a giant patronage
scheme? This seems more like Cold War policy than a reset policy.

Speaking of the Cold War, a new version of that competition, between China
and the West, is emerging on African soil. And as many observers see it,
China has captured the lead, largely because many African leaders find the
Chinese more generous and a lot easier to deal with than Westerners.
Moreover, they don't particularly care about democracy or social justice.

Despite this, the U.S. is still fairly highly regarded in much of Africa.
But that friendly capital will swiftly dwindle if the only things Africans
get from the reset of U.S. policy are drone fly-overs and visible support of
corrupt autocrats.

As Ambassador Carrington concluded at his UMass address: "Mali is a
cautionary tale for any country seeking U.S. assistance." Because the United
States lacked real intelligence about what was going in Mali's political
circles, American actions helped to topple one of Africa's oldest
democracies. Unintended consequences, to be sure; but an undertaking deeply
unworthy of - and damaging to - the kinds of outcomes the U.S. would like to
see in Africa, and the principles it claims to stand for.

Michael Keating is the Director of Operations of the Center for Peace,
Development and Democracy at the University of Massachusetts Boston. He can
be contacted at michael.keating_at_umb.edu

<http://africanarguments.org/2012/12/06/the-u-s-pivots-slightly-toward-afric
a-by-michael-keating/080225-n-2855b-040-jpg/>
http://africanarguments.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Gen_Carter_Ham.jpg

General Carter Ham explains that the US does now have some sort of an Africa
policy.