[Dehai-WN] Shabait.com: 1. "You could do anything you set your mind on" 2. "Back when I was a kid I found books very exciting"

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 13:45:48 +0100

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11828-you-could-do-anything-you-set-y
our-mind-on> "You could do anything you set your mind on"

Friday, 07 December 2012 08:19 | Written by Billion Temesghen |
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11828-you-could-do-anything-you-set-y
our-mind-on?format=pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11828-you-could-do-anything-you-set-y
our-mind-on?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlcy9xLWEtYS8xMTgyOC15b3UtY291bGQtZG8tYW55dGhpbmcteW
91LXNldC15b3VyLW1pbmQtb24%3D> E-mail

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-7-article-qa.jpgAn
interview conducted with an inspiring woman to many.

Q: -Can you please introduce yourself to our readers?

Ok, my name is Sara Araya. I was born in Asmara in 1984. I grew up and went
to school here and then I got married in 2002, I'm a mother of three. Ever
since I finished school I have been active in different jobs till I started
working as a truck operator. -How did you get there?

I got to apply there when I was working at Bisha construction. I gave it a
shot even though I didn't have much knowledge about it, I just thought that
maybe it could be a big step in my carrier. I obviously took some courses
with a lot of interest.

Q: -Were you the only woman?

No, there were ten of us. But only two of us made it to the end.

Q: -Were you the first ones?

I guess so. especially because the machines were very new in Eritrea and a
while ago only men dealt with heavy machineries.

Q: -How was the reaction of the people when you first started the job?

They hated it. Only because they were looking out for me, they thought the
job was way too much for a woman to handle.

Q: -How did you deal with it?

Well, they are kind of right: the job is really demanding and tiring.
Nevertheless I believe that you could do anything you set your mind on, if
so nothing can stop you.

Q: -What do you have to say about these sorts of jobs that are usually
"reserved" to men?

Physically they are definitely stronger so it is obvious that one can
automatically think that some occupations got to be done by men. But it
really doesn't matter because if you have interest, dedication and love for
what you do, gender is not a big deal. Mainly in the actual social context
we are living now, traditions and social conventions are long forgotten now
that women have gained the same amount of rights and responsibility as that
of the
http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/dec-7-article-qa1.jpgmen.

Q: -True that. Since you are one of the first women working with heavy
machineries, how do you feel about that?

Well it is good to be an example, I am proud that I am one.

Q: -How does the job affect you as a mother?

Being a working mom is naturally hard. But I think it has its own colors.

-Colors?

Well what I mean is, when I'm at work I get to meet a lot of people, I have
a great time co-working with colleagues and when I go home I get to have an
even more wonderful time with my kids an family.

-it was truly amazing talking to a wonderful woman like you. We wish you all
the best.

Thanks.

<http://www.shabait.com/articles/q-a-a/11762-back-when-i-was-a-kid-i-found-b
ooks-very-exciting-> "Back when I was a kid I found books very exciting"

Friday, 07 December 2012 09:00 | Written by Billion Temesghen |

http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/shabimages/nov-30-article-qa.jpgOur
guest for this week's edition is called Hanibal Tekeste. Born in 1971 in
Asmara- "Mai Temenay" and stayed here through out all of his childhood and
adolescence. In 1996 he graduated with first degree from the University of
Asmara and then upgraded his "mathematics and statics" degree to masters'
degree in South Africa - Cape Town. He so far contributed in many aspects of
education here in Eritrea and he also published nine books. He is a good
teacher and a good family man; father of three. Let's look at the interview
we had with Mr. Abel.

Q: -Tell us about your childhood as a student.

Ok, honestly. I started gaining some interest in school and my studies in
the 6th grade, ever since then I've been one of the most rewarded students,
I was always on the top three. Back then the subjects that I loved and I was
good at were math and English.

Q: -How did you end up liking math?

I wouldn't be able to tell specifically. I found my self good around that
subject, I could dare to say that I found math easier that any other
subjects, also because my family always helped me with things that as a
child would skip if I don't understand them or anything like that. They
would buy me a lot of book and help me exercise my equations. their follow
up helped me a lot.

Q: -So your parents and family supported you a lot. Right?

Yeah. Definitely, there are no doubts on this one. They played a big role in
making me someone that enjoyed going to school and study; they made me
realize the importance of school. Specially my dad.

Q: -OK. What did you do after graduating?

I worked as a teacher in "Segeneyti" for almost three years. And in 1998 I
published my first book. It was my first try out but the response I got from
students, parents, teachers and schools was so encouraging. After that I
started working at the Educational Data Analysis for two years and then I
went to South Africa in 2002, stayed there for two years and once I was here
I worked in the Educational Assessment Section for another two years. Right
now I am a math lecturer in E.I.T.

Q: -What about your books?

So far I've published nine of 'them. All of them aim to give a helping hand
to our students and the readers in general. I always put in mind that what I
write got to massively helpful to all of the junior and high school
students. It gives me pleasure and joy to help Eritrean students in gaining
the right amount of confidence they need as students.

Q: -There is one book of yours that is titled "Eri-Sa Matric Mathematics".
Tell us about it, it sounds interesting.

It is interesting! Mainly because the book presents a mixture of the
Eritrean matriculation curriculum as well as the South African one. South
Africa has a very developed educational technics. Their educational system
is quite similar to the European one so I thought that mixing ours with
theirs could help our students have a wider prospection.

Q: -What kind of effort do you put when you write your books?

I usually read a lot of books my self, I make sure I am always updated with
the latest systems and I contact a lot of teachers. Because after all, my
goal is to help our students with their studies so the books have to nourish
them with latest and simplest ways to face their education.

Q: -Are your aims reaching the right goal?

Well yeah, better than ever. In fact this is just the beginning, in the
books we leave e-mail addresses or phone numbers and the students can
contact the headquarters for any kind of help. I have seen that a lot of
parents and teachers have a lot of helpful and inspiring comments; I am
going to work harder on that.

Q: -Nowadays may students tend to believe that they run short on studying
time, they say that they don't have time. What do you have to say about
this?

They run short on the "studying technics", that's what it is. Studying has
to be an ordinary thing that a student must do with out being forced or
forcing their selves. It has to be as natural as hanging out with friends,
playing with brothers and sisters, chatting with family or what ever it is.
I believe that every student around the world has talent but they need two
more things: interest and dedication. They have to be purely conscious about
the importance of knowledge. They can easily acquire them if they want so
the keys to a better and successful future are in their hands.

Q: -Do you think that knowledge has an end?

No! Absolutely not. so long the world doesn't stop, education will be
limitless. That's the good thing about it!!!

Q: -It is indeed! What is that you plan for the future?

It's all connected to books. I plan to bring up more materials to the
students including elementary schools students.

Q: -Well good luck, it was a pleasure having you.
Thanks!

image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

image002.png