[Dehai-WN] Allafrica.com: South Sudan: South Kordofan and Blue Nile Conflict Compromises Security Deal Implementation - South Sudan

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:50:13 +0100

South Sudan: South Kordofan and Blue Nile Conflict Compromises Security Deal
Implementation - South Sudan

30November 2012

Washington — South Sudanese Ambassador to the United Nations said the
implementation of security arrangements will be compromised without the
resolution of South Kordofan and Blue Nile conflict.

Francis Deng made his remarks before the United Nations Security Council
(UNSC) in a consultations meeting where the 15 members discussed a report by
the UN Secretary General on the activities of UN Mission in South Sudan
(UNMISS) .

Hervé Ladsous, Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations, who
presented the report told the Council that the slow progress in the
implementation of the 27 September cooperation deal, which includes the
resumption of oil exportation, "could adversely impact South Sudan's
economic and social stability".

"Given the dependency of South Sudan on oil revenues, further delay in
generating them would not only continue to negatively affect all Government
development programmes but could also lead to tensions within its different
components, including the security services."

Deng, who addressed the Council for the first time in his capacity as
Permanent Representative of the Republic of South Sudan said his government
is "eager" to implement the security arrangements and blamed Khartoum for
the delay .

"It is clear that unless there can be a dialogue (between Sudan and SPLM-N)
on the basis of previous agreements, including the CPA and last year's 28
June agreement, it will be difficult to implement the Safe Demilitarized
Border Zone (SDBZ) and Joint Border Verification Monitoring Mechanism
(JBVMM)," he said.

The Ambassador stressed that Juba continues to prepare for the resumption of
oil exportation through Sudan but Khartoum on the other side imposes
"additional demands on security issues that go far beyond the scope of the
27th September agreements."

South Sudanese President Sava Kiir on Monday said that Khartoum demands to
disarm the rebel Sudan People's Liberation Movement - North (SPLM-N) which
fights the Sudanese army in South Kordofan and Blue Nile.

Khartoum said it would be ready to hold direct talks with the SPLM-N under
the auspices of the African mediation when the latter lay down their arms.
The rebels, on the other side, say want a comprehensive process including
Darfur armed groups.

"We are nonetheless encouraged by a recent exchange between our two
Presidents and an agreement to reconvene the Joint Political and Security
Mechanism in Khartoum next week," Deng however said.

Sudanese defence minister Abdel-Rahim Hussein, announced that the political
and security committee will meet on 5 and 6 December in Khartoum after
failing to agree on the deployment of joint patrols in Juba.

Khartoum accuses Juba of supporting SPLM-N which was part of the ruling
party in South Sudan before its independence, and repeats oil money will
benefits also to the rebels.

Deng also underlined that his government is concerned by the humanitarian
impact generated by the conflict in South Kordofan and Blue Nile as the
presence of refugees affects directly South Sudanese on the border areas.