[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): South Sudan says demands from Sudan delay oil restart

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 14:14:36 +0100

South Sudan says demands from Sudan delay oil restart

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08pm EST

(Adds background, quotes from Kiir)

By
<http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=Hereward.Hollan
d> Hereward Holland

Nov 20 (Reuters) - South Sudan's President Salva Kiir said resumption of the
country's oil output had been delayed after Sudan made new demands related
to rebel fighting in Sudanese territory.

Landlocked South Sudan, which seceded from Sudan in July last year, shut
down its roughly 350,000 barrels per day of oil output in January in a
dispute with Khartoum over how much it should pay to export oil through
Sudan to the Red Sea.

The two signed deals on export fees, security and the border over the last
few months, opening the way to resuming exports, but media reports
suggesting the restart would be delayed have hit the Sudanese pound in
recent days.

On Monday, Sudan denied intentionally delaying the trade but said the two
sides had not yet agreed on how to demilitarise their border - a condition
for resuming oil flows.

Kiir, addressing supporters and reporters in Melut town in the oil-producing
Upper Nile state on Tuesday, suggested the delay was related to rebellions
in two Sudanese regions - Blue Nile state and the Nuba Mountains in South
Kordofan state.

"We were supposed to resume oil production on November 15, five days ago.
Suddenly Khartoum people changed their minds, saying we must denounce the
Nuba Mountains and Blue Nile," Kiir said.

Khartoum accuses Juba of backing the rebels, known as the Sudan People's
Liberation Movement North (SPLM-N), who fought alongside the southern
insurgents during Sudan's decades-long civil war but were left in Sudan with
partition.

South Sudan denies supporting the insurgents.

"The people (of Khartoum) are looking for an excuse for their defeat in Nuba
Mountains and Blue Nile," Kiir said.

Fighting broke out last year between SPLM-N troops and government forces in
South Kordofan and Blue Nile, which both border South Sudan, and has raged
ever since.

Both Sudan and South Sudan - which split apart under a 2005 peace deal -
depend heavily on oil for government revenues and foreign currency.
(Reporting by Hereward Holland; writing by Alexander Dziadosz; editing by
James Jukwey)