[Dehai-WN] Iipdigital.usembassy.gov: Sudan: U.S. State Dept. on Sudan-South Sudan Border, Oil Delays

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:47:03 +0100

Sudan: U.S. State Dept. on Sudan-South Sudan Border, Oil Delays

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

Office of the Spokesperson

STATEMENT BY VICTORIA NULAND, SPOKESPERSON

Delayed Implementation of Agreements by Sudan and South Sudan

The United States is increasingly concerned about the delays in
implementation of the historic agreements signed in Addis Ababa by Sudan and
South Sudan on September 27. The Sudanese and South Sudanese people deserve
swift and complete implementation of these agreements, as called for in the
October 24 African Union Peace and Security Council communiqué.

The creation of the safe demilitarized border zone between the two countries
is vital to ensure that both countries honor their commitments to cease
support to proxies and, most importantly, prevent inter-state conflict. We
are concerned that no progress was made at the November 6-7 Joint Political
and Security Mechanism meeting between the two parties, and we call on Sudan
and South Sudan to immediately reconvene and recommit themselves to the
September 27 agreements. Allowing this unresolved issue to impede
implementation of the other agreements threatens the stability of both
countries.

We are also disappointed by delays in the resumption of oil production. This
denies much needed revenue to both economies, and we urge both parties to
resume production while they work to resolve other bilateral issues and,
along with the African Union, urgently stand-up the Petroleum Monitoring
Committee.