[Dehai-WN] Presstv.ir: Video- Yemeni govt. subservient to US, Saudi regime, analyst says

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:24:02 +0100

Yemeni govt. subservient to US, Saudi regime, analyst says

Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:17AM GMT

Video-
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/11/11/271561/yemen-govt-obeys-us-saudi-ara
bia/

Interview with Moufid Jaber, Middle East Center for Studies and Public
Relations, Beirut

 <http://64.150.186.181/presstv/site%20video/11-11-2012/news_analysis.mp4>
Download | <javascript:showEmbed();> Embed

The Yemeni government is to a great extent subservient to the US and to
Saudi Arabia."

The post-revolution Yemeni government favors the interests of the United
States and the Saudi regime over the welfare of the people, an activist
tells Press TV.

Yemenis have staged several anti-US protests over Washington's interference
in Yemeni affairs and its assassination drone attacks in the country over
the past few months. The protesters have called on the government to cut all
ties with Washington over the drone strikes.

Press TV has conducted an interview with Moufid Jaber, Middle East Center
for Studies and Public Relations, from Beirut, to further discuss the issue.
Jaber is joined by Hakim al-Mesmari, editor-in-chief of the Yemen Post, from
Sana'a. The following is a rough transcription of the interview.

Press TV: Al-Mesmari is saying that the Yemeni government wants to see an
increase in these drone attacks; however, we see almost on a daily basis or
at least weekly, the Yemeni people taking to the streets and condemning
these drone attacks. Where does it lie? Does the Yemeni government actually
represent the Yemeni people or is it basically subservient to the US?

Jaber: As we know, the Yemeni government in its present form came largely as
a result of a Saudi-brokered agreement. Without the approval of the US and
of Saudi Arabia, there wouldn't be a Yemeni government. [It] is largely
decided in Saudi and the US. As you know, yes, the Yemeni government is to a
great extent subservient to the US and to Saudi Arabia.

We can witness by the fact that a large number of the Yemeni population does
not support the stances of the government and, in fact, does oppose the
drone attacks. Also, you know, we have to take into consideration that the
drone attacks have been used to fight the al-Qaeda insurgents in the region

But the way that the Yemeni government has unconditionally supported this
kind of interference on the part of the US shows to a large extent how the
Yemeni government, as I said before came as a result of a Saudi-brokered
agreement, is subservient to US interests and cannot move away from this
particular line.

Press TV: With the situation, is it basically, the US is the best option for
Yemen at this point in time even though the people are asking for something
else? How do you see it?

Jaber: No, of course. Any government that should rule over Yemen should have
the consent of the people, otherwise the people might go around revolting in
the same way that they did with Ali Abdullah Saleh, because the main reason
people revolted against Ali Abdullah Saleh was to impose a government that
worked along with the will of the people rather than was subservient to the
interests of the US.

One of the main reasons, as I said, the people revolted against Ali Abdullah
Saleh was in part his dealing with the Houthi rebellion in the north, and
his dealing with the grievances of this other movement.

I don't think this government is sustainable. Any government that should
reach power in Yemen should have the allegiance and should work according to
the will of a large part of the population, and namely should have the
support of both the Houthis and the Southern Movement as well as those who
oppose any kind of US interference in Yemen.

Press TV: We still continue to see the Yemenis take to the streets. Do you
think that the revolution is on track or has it been hijacked by others?

Jaber: Obviously, since the government that replaced the government of Ali
Abdullah Saleh was one of basically the same camp and it didn't change the
structure of the whole regime because many of the former member of the Ali
Abdullah Saleh government remained in power, basically only Ali Abdullah
Saleh was removed, but the regime that it was, one that was subservient to
the interests of both the US and Saudi Arabia, is still in place.

You know, as the revolution has been hijacked since there wasn't really a
change in the power structure, rather it was only a change in the figure
heads, a new revolution might eventually take place because the people
cannot be fooled anymore, and people will have to take it to the streets
again in order to bring to power a government that represents the will of
the people especially concerning the subservience of the Yemeni government
towards the US.

Press TV: What would have to be done, Mr. Jaber, in your perspective? Do you
agree with our guest in Sana'a, Mr. Al-Mesmari, that the revolutionaries,
parts of them, lack the leadership or the unified vision? Or, what is the
main problem you see, in your perspective?

Jaber: As your guest said the main problem is the fact that the main
opposition groups in Yemen are not organized. Mainly there is the Houthi
movement which does enjoy a great deal of popular support, but at the same
time its political objectives are not well laid out. Its organizational
structure as well is not clearly in place.

This is also the case to a great extent with the Southern Movement. There is
some sort of consensus as to what their objectives are, but there is no
clearly laid-out political plan.

Yes, the main problem with the Yemeni opposition is the fact that they are
not well-organized and they would have to get on this path where they can
organize themselves and form some coalitions in order to topple the Yemeni
government or at least make some sort of change in the government's
structure.

Press TV: How big of a role do you see Saudi Arabia and or the United States
playing in side tracking this or trying to side track this revolution?

Jaber: Through their many allies inside of Yemen and in the Yemeni
government they're going to try to prevent these anti-American forces from
taking power, or yet again they are going to try to hijack the revolution as
they did with the popular revolt that removed Ali Abdullah Saleh or led to
Ali Abdullah Saleh being removed from power.

They might make military actions that would try to diminish the influence of
the Houthis as they did some while back with the Saudi army with the
skirmishes that they had with the Houthi rebels in order to diminish their
influence in. Northern Yemen, in particular, they're also going to try to
fight as much as possible the Southern Movement through political means.

Press TV: Your take. What is the main obstacle at this point in time for the
revolutionaries?

Jaber: You know as your guest said the opposition is not united and they
would have to organize in order for them to form reasonable opposition to
the government.

The main obstacle as I said is the fact that they are not organized, and the
fact that the Yemeni government enjoys the support of the US and Saudi
Arabia to a large extent, and they would try to do as much as they could in
order to make it that the government does not change or not be replaced by
one which does not suit the interests of the US and Saudi Arabia and is not
in line with their foreign policy.

Press TV: Are you optimistic that the revolutionaries will be able to get it
together, unite and to make the changes that they want?

Jaber: We will have to see whether or not they are able to actually organize
themselves and try to form some sort of coalition. I hope so. I try to be as
objective as possible. I would like to be optimistic.

Again it is up to the Houthi leadership as well as the Southern Movement and
all of those forces that oppose the current government in Yemen to organize.