[Dehai-WN] TheDailyBeast.com: Al Qaeda Resilient In Yemen Despite Drone Attacks

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:22:33 +0100

Al Qaeda Resilient In Yemen Despite Drone Attacks

Nov 6, 2012 4:45 AM EST

While the current government in Sana'a is supportive of drone strikes, the
attacks might be creating more radicals than America can kill.

In a <http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2019492776_apmlyemen.html>
defiant audio recording, Said al-Shihri seemed to have come back from the
dead. In September, the Yemeni Ministry of Defense
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19547768> announced that they
had taken out Shihri, the deputy leader of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula
(AQAP). But when he apparently reemerged one month later to swear revenge-if
the recording was indeed authentic-Shihri's seemingly botched killing
transformed a counterterrorism victory into a chilling metaphor of Al
Qaeda's resilient presence in conflict-wracked Yemen.

Progress in the battle against AQAP has undeniably been made. In the midst
of last year's
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/02/yemen-s-president-ali-abdu
llah-saleh-clings-to-power-while-opposition-dithers.html> uprising against
former president Ali Abdullah Saleh,
<http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/27/al-qaeda-s-final-trap-in-y
emen-costly-demise-planned-for-u-s.html> Ansar al-Sharia-an Al Qaeda-linked
militant group-was able to take hold of swathes of territory in the restive
southern provinces of Abyan and Shabwa. Shortly taking office this
February, Saleh's successor, Abdo Rabbu Mansour Hadi, proceeded to launch a
sustained military offensive against the extremists, and by early June,
Yemeni troops-backed by U.S. intelligence and air support, as well as local
warriors-were able to push Ansar al-Sharia out of areas they had controlled
for more than a year.

But as the militants abandoned their former strongholds, most of their
fighters were able to slip away, largely armed, and reintegrate into society
or escape to sparsely populated, mountainous areas north of their former
strongholds. They've continued to launch attacks on Yemeni troops in areas
once under their control; an Oct. 19 attack on an army base in the coastal
town of Shuqra left 13 soldiers dead. Elsewhere, a string of bombings and
assassinations in the nation's cities-including the capital itself-have
underscored that the continued threat AQAP poses.

"What happened earlier this year was more a moving of the battle than an end
to the battle," said Gregory Johnsen, author of The Last Refuge, a
forthcoming book on Yemen and AQAP. "There are large portions of Yemen that
are drifting away from the central government and Sana is unable to reassert
control. Whenever these cracks and fissures emerge in the Yemeni state,
groups like AQAP will be able to seize the opportunity."

While local troops and law enforcement have played a key role, American
strikes, largely by unmanned drones, have long been a important-and
controversial-element of the American government's battle against AQAP,
which has been responsible for numerous plots against U.S. targets. Saleh
had permitted the strikes since 2009, and the policy has continued under his
successor.

Proponents of the strikes have hailed them as an accurate method of
targeting local militants. In statements made during a
<http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/27/us/white-house-yemen/index.html> recent trip
to the U.S., president Hadi acknowledged that drone strikes in the country
take place with his permission, and defended the use of drones by
contrasting their technological precision with that of the fighter planes
used by Yemen's under-equipped air force, which are largely unable to
operate at night.

Hadi's enthusiastic cooperation has cemented his status as one of America's
staunchest allies in the region. But even as the president has emerged as a
vocal backer of U.S. policies in Yemen, his endorsement is far from
universal.

Many Yemenis see drone strikes as an unacceptable violation of the country's
sovereignty and the rule of law. While American officials point to a growing
list of dead militants, many here stress the unavoidable risk-and sporadic
occurrence-of civilian casualties. Public opposition to the strikes has
mounted in the wake of a botched drone attack in the central town of Rada
that left 13 civilians dead.

"There are large portions of Yemen that are drifting away from the central
government and Sana is unable to reassert control."

While some within Yemen's political establishment have taken issue with the
strikes, most remain reluctant to do so publicly, even if they've quietly
expressed concerns that widespread anger over the strikes is having a
radicalizing effect. AQAP statements have leveraged the strikes in their
attempts to paint the current Yemeni government as a puppet of the U.S. And
even if they've been a frequent AQAP target themselves, the Houthis-a Zaydi
Shiite rebel group-have also been accused of taking advantage of current
anti-American sentiment for their own benefit.

Over the past year, the Houthis have emerged from the shadows, taking
virtual control over much of Yemen's conflict-scarred far north and
expanding their presence to the capital itself, where graffiti bearing their
acerbic slogan-"God is great, Death to America, Death to Israel, Damn the
Jews, Victory to Islam"-is a frequent presence. The Houthis have taken an
ambivalent position with regard to the current government, condemning it as
illegitimate while expressing a willingness to cooperate in the country's
post-Saleh transition. And while most analysts say that the group's
grassroots support is fundamentally rooted in local grievances, many here
have ascribed the rise of the Houthis-who have long been accused of taking
arms and funding from the Islamic Republic of Iran-to Tehran's interference.

"We've seen Iranian efforts to take advantage of the political upheaval to
build up their own presence in a way that would not be supportive of
resolving internal issues successfully," said one Western diplomat.

Most Yemenis are quick to condemn local extremists. But, few question their
continued ability to pull support from a radicalized minority-and many who
stress Yemenis' opposition to AQAP express fears that the United States'
counterterrorism policies here are breeding mistrust. With the central
government's influence weakened throughout much of the country, human
intelligence and cooperation with those on the ground will be key to
defeating AQAP. And even if many local elites share a desire to see the
terrorist group defeated, they condemn the American government's current
policies as counterproductive.

"I say this with regret, but also with confidence," said a prominent sheik
from Mareb, a sparsely populated province in central Yemen that has long had
an AQAP presence. "America's policies in Yemen are creating more militants
than they can kill."