[Dehai-WN] Pambazuka.org: Somalia: Implementation of the 'New Deal' scuttled

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 23:30:37 +0200

Somalia: Implementation of the ‘New Deal’ scuttled

Mohamud M Uluso

2012-10-26, Issue <http://www.pambazuka.org/en/issue/603> 603

 <http://www.pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84949>
http://pambazuka.org/en/category/features/84949

The motley crowd of international players pursuing their own geopolitical
agendas is not genuinely interested in a peaceful and stable Somalia,
despite their posturing.

Somalia adopted a UN-drafted Provisional Constitution, formed a new national
parliament representing the entire population of the country and elected a
national leadership for ending 12 years of a chaotic transition period and
established a permanent, representative and accountable government eligible
for substantial Official Development Assistance (ODA). Majority of Somalis
believed that the international community would treat the post-transition
government as a sovereign authority primarily representative of and
accountable to its people. That belief was encouraged by the communiqué the
Secretary General of the United Nations issued after the conclusion of the
mini-summit on Somalia held in New York on 26 September 2012, in which he