[Dehai-WN] Gazettextra.com: Racism in our American political culture?

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:15:41 +0200

Racism in our American political culture?

By <http://gazettextra.com/users/JWEyster/> JOHN EYSTER Friday, October
26, 2012 - 6:47 a.m.

I was DISappointed to read the Washington Post's report that there is a
widening racial gap in our American presidential contest. Are WE THE PEOPLE
of the US really RACIST? What do YOU think?

First, I urge you to read the feature by Jon Cohen and Rosalind SA.
Helderman with contribution by Scott Clement,
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/decision2012/poll-shows-widening-rac
ial-gap-in-presidential-contest/2012/10/25/9d5be0d4-1ed1-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388
962_story.html> "Poll shows widening racial gap in presidential contest"
published by the Washington Post yesterday.

BOTTOM-LINE: Obama has a deficit of 23 percentage points, trailing
Republican Mitt Romney with 60% to 37% among whites according to the latest
Washington Post-ABC News national tracking poll. This is in contrast to the
report that at this stage in 2008, Obama trailed Republican John McCain by
only 7 percentage points. The report cited the fact that exit polls reported
that Obama lost to McCain by 12 percentage points on white votes.

WHY the INCREASED RACIAL GAP? What do YOU think?

For me, this increasing racial gap is VERY worrisome as one evaluates our
American culture. I see this as REGRESSION. What do YOU think?

The article notes, "The slippage among whites is something of a setback for
Obama, who campaigned on bridging the racial divide in his election and has
sought to minimize rifts that have arisen in his presidency. Although
Democrats typically win minorities and fare worse among white voters than
their Republican rivals, Obama outpaced previous losing Democratic
candidates with both groups."

Adding, "Less than two weeks before the election, the evidence suggests that
a much more sharply divided country will head to the polls."

What's going on?!

In our increasingly diverse society, I find it dysfunctional that the
article reports, "Fully 91 percent of Romney's support comes from white
voters." What do YOU think?

I want to underscore the articles clear warning, "There is no way to tell
from these findings what role, if any, racial prejudice may play on either
side of the racial gap. But the data suggest that concern about the economy
is amplifying the division, as Obama's decline in support among white voters
appears to be closely linked to views of his handling of the economy. And
yet minorities have suffered severe unemployment and housing foreclosures in
the current economy as well."

Additionally, "The national polling data do mask important regional
differences," so we must read carefully evaluating the REAL meanings!
Forewarned is forearmed!

At the same time, one must consider, "In a rapidly diversifying country, the
percentage of the nation's population that is white drops 2 percent every
four years, said David Bositis, a senior research associate at the Joint
Center for Political and Economic Studies. And even among white voters,
Republicans perform best among older voters, who will age out of the voting
rolls in coming years."

Consider the historical perspective reported in this article, "In 1988, the
last time there was such a prominent racial gap, white voters sided with
George H.W. Bush over Michael Dukakis by 59 percent to 40 percent, with
nonwhites breaking 78 percent to 20 percent for the Democrat. Were Obama to
slip into the 30s among white voters this year, it would be the first time
for a Democrat in a two-way race since Walter Mondale did so in 1984, losing
white voters to President Ronald Reagan by 64 percent to 35 percent."

My own concern was DRAMATICALLY INCREASED when I read Daniel Bice's report
in his poignant OpEd column on Sunday, October 14, 2012,
<http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquarter/tommy-thompsons-son-calls-for-se
nding-obama-back-to-kenya-kd77l38-174121401.html> "Tommy Thompson's son
calls for sending Obama back 'to Kenya'"!

YOU can watch the video of Jason Thompson's "birther remark." Here is the
link, <http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FRs0tCOI5mc>
"Tommy Thompson's Son Makes Birther Remark."

The quote from Jason Thompson is, ""We have the opportunity to send
President Obama back to Chicago - or Kenya." REALLY?!

Where did this attitude come from? I assert that this is a FREUDIAN
STATEMENT! What does it mean?

The column reports that on the same Sunday (October 14) at an evening news
conference in Wauwatosa, TOMMY THOMPSON initially deflected a question from
No Quarter about the video, stating, "I don't know what you're talking
about."

Bice then reports, "About an hour later, however, Thompson's staff sent an
email addressing the controversy. "The Governor has addressed this with his
son, just like any father would do. Jason Thompson said something he should
not have, and he apologizes."

Of course what he said should NOT have been said aloud. We know the US
Supreme Court has held that one may THINK anything one wishes, but the
CRUNCH comes when one articulates the thought! Forewarned is forearmed!

In fact, additional perspective is gained reading the rest of the Bice "No
Quarter" column of Monday, October 15, 2012, "During the same Sunday
(October 14) news conference, Thompson had his own slip of the tongue when
talking about Baldwin.

"A reporter asked Thompson about Baldwin's statements Sunday at the Jewish
Community Center in Milwaukee, responding to allegations that she has
flip-flopped on sanctioning Iran.

"Thompson called Baldwin's explanation 'the lamest excuse I've ever heard.'
He then went on to call her 'anti-Jewish.'

"Only later did he backtrack when the same reporter asked him if he meant
what he said.

"'She's anti-Israel,' he clarified.

"Back in 2007, Thompson had to apologize for telling a Jewish group that
earning money was 'part of the Jewish tradition.' He made the remark to the
Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism while running for president."

Do these words come from persons who are sincerely and really OPEN to the
DIVERSITY of our American culture? What do YOU think?

Jason did "apologized." Bice reported that articulation in his "No Quarter"
column on Monday, October 15, 2012. YOU can read that column using this
link,
<http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/noquarter/thompsons-son-apologizes-for-oba
ma-back-to-kenya-remark-np78329-174259641.html> "Thompson's son apologizes
for 'back to Kenya' remark."

What a SURPRISE! I note that the report is that he apologized to HIS
COLLEAGUES at Michael Best & Friedrich law firm where he works. NO BRAINER?!

Be sure to note Bice's report of the statement issued by Lindsay, Stone &
Briggs, Madison public relations firm for Michael Best & Fredrich, "Over the
weekend, one of our attorneys and the son of Senatorial candidate Tommy
Thompson made a regrettable comment at a campaign event for his father. We
want to make it clear that the comment made at the campaign event in no way
reflects the views, beliefs or values of Michael Best & Friedrich." OF
COURSE NOT!

The last report I've read is, "Thompson campaign staffers have not said
whether Jason Thompson will continue to represent his father's campaign at
political events." If you have seen a follow-up report, I hope you will post
as a comment. I will be reading comments.

Are we moving to fulfilling MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR's dream, "I have a dream
that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be
judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"?
What do YOU think?

I encourage you to read again that historic speech of August 28, 1963 in our
American history at The Lincoln Memorial in our American history. You can
access it online via the ABC News website,
<http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/martin-luther-kings-speech-dream-full-text/s
tory?id=14358231> "Martin Luther King's Speech: 'I Have a Dream' - The Full
Text."

I have a dream today. Martin Luther King, Jr. articulated that dream for me.
It is grounded in my growing up in our American culture and the Christian
faith. Do YOU have a dream today?

Here we go.

Mr. E.

John Eyster lives in the Edgerton area. He is an adjunct professor of
political science at UW-Waukesha and an advocate for democracy/civics
education in Wisconsin high schools. John is a community blogger and is not
a part of The Gazette staff. His opinion is not necessarily that of the The
Gazette staff or management.