[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Darfur peace deal faces "huge challenges" - peacekeepers

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 23:48:54 +0200

Darfur peace deal faces "huge challenges" - peacekeepers

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36pm GMT

* Violence continues to plague Darfur despite deal

* North Darfur sees "alarming" rise in violence

* Main rebel groups rejected peace deal

KHARTOUM, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Efforts to implement a peace deal between
Sudan's government and a Darfur rebel group face "huge challenges" while
violence is rising in parts of the western region, the acting head of the
regional peacekeeping force said on Monday.

Insurgents took up arms against government forces in Darfur in 2003,
complaining authorities had neglected the region and excluded their ethnic
minorities from economic and political power structures.

Despite a massive United Nations-African Union peacekeeping force (UNAMID)
deployed in Darfur, r ebel fighting, banditry and tribal clashes have
continued to plague the territory.

In July last year the government signed a Qatar-brokered peace deal with the
Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM), an umbrella group of small rebel
factions, but the main insurgent groups refused to sign.

Implementing the deal has been slow since then, acting UNAMID head Aichatou
Mindaoudou said.

"Today, we have to note that the process has been very slow and, in the case
of the work of the Ceasefire Commission, can even be described as stagnant,"
she told reporters in Khartoum.

A process to verify the LJM forces and strength was conducted in March but
has not produced conclusive outcomes, she said, adding that the deadlock
meant there had been no progress on major provisions of the deal.

She added that a regional conference authorities had been able to hold was
one sign of progress.

"While the overall process of DDPD (Document for Peace in Darfur)
implementation has been very slow and continues to face huge challenges,
some progress has been made," she said.

The United Nations has estimated that around 300,000 people may have died in
the Darfur conflict. The government has put the toll around 10,000.

The International Criminal Court has indicted Sudan's President Omar Hassan
al-Bashir for masterminding war crimes and genocide in the region, which he
denies.

A spike in clashes between groups in northern Darfur has led to high
civilian casualties recently, Mindaoudou said.

"This alarming development calls for urgent and speedy implementation of
this plan," she added. (Reporting by Alexander Dziadosz; Editing by Jon
Hemming)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved