[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): China warns U.S. not to take sides in sea disputes as Clinton flies in

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:20:36 +0200

China warns U.S. not to take sides in sea disputes as Clinton flies in

Tue Sep 4, 2012 8:53am GMT

By Andrew Quinn and Chris Buckley

JAKARTA/BEIJING (Reuters) - China warned the United States not to get
involved in South China Sea territorial disputes on Tuesday as U.S.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton headed to Beijing pledging to pass on a
strong message on the need to calm regional tension.

The last time Clinton visited the Chinese capital, plans to highlight
improving U.S.-China ties were derailed by a blind Chinese dissident whose
dramatic flight to the U.S. embassy exposed the deeply uneasy relationship.

The irritants this time are disputes over tiny islets and craggy outcrops in
oil- and gas-rich areas of the South and East China Seas that have set China
against U.S. regional allies such as the Philippines and Taiwan.

As Clinton travelled back to Beijing on Tuesday, U.S. officials say the
message is once again one of cooperation and partnership - and an important
chance to compare notes during a year of political transition.

But the unease remains, sharpened by disputes in the South and East China
Seas that have rattled nerves across the region and led to testy exchanges
with Washington just as the Obama administration "pivots" to the
Asia-Pacific region following years of military engagement in Iraq and
Afghanistan.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei suggested at a daily news
briefing that Washington was not a helpful force in the maritime disputes.

"We have noted that the United States has stated many times that it does not
take sides," he said when asked about the U.S. role. "We hope that the
United States will abide by its promises and do more that is beneficial to
regional peace and stability, and not the opposite."

Chinese newspapers, including Communist Party mouthpiece the People's Daily,
have suggested the South China Sea territorial claims are among Beijing's
"core national interests" - a term suggesting they share the same importance
as sovereignty over Tibet and Xinjiang.

Hong did not directly answer a question about whether that was the
government's official position.

"China, like any other country in the world, has the duty to protect its
sovereignty and territorial integrity," he said.

"WITHOUT COERCION"

In Jakarta on Monday, Clinton urged China and its Southeast Asian neighbours
to move quickly on a code of conduct for the South China Sea and stressed
that disputes should be resolved "without coercion, without intimidation,
without threats and certainly without the use of force".

But progress has been thwarted in recent months by China's increasingly
assertive posture, which has included establishing a garrison on a disputed
island and stepping up patrols of contested waters.

That suggests Beijing has no intention of backing down on its unilateral
claim to sovereignty over a huge stretch of ocean and potentially equally
large energy reserves.

Clinton faces a balancing act, pushing on the territorial disputes while
keeping cooperation on track on other issues including reining in the North
Korean and Iranian nuclear programmes, the Syria crisis and economic
disputes that have long bedevilled the two countries.

"One of the challenges before us is to demonstrate how we deal with areas in
which we have different perceptions and where we face challenging issues on
the ground, or in this case on the water," one senior U.S. official said.

But some Chinese media have been blunt in their opposition to Clinton. The
Global Times, a popular, nationalist tabloid, accused her of "deeply
intensifying mutual suspicion".

"Many Chinese people dislike Hillary Clinton," it said in an editorial. "She
has brought new and extremely profound mutual distrust between the
mainstream societies of the two countries, and removing that will not be
easy."

WHAT NEXT?

Clinton on Wednesday will meet outgoing President Hu Jintao and Vice
President Xi Jinping, the man who will likely succeed him as paramount
leader following a Communist Party congress this year.

Xi visited the United States in February on a get-acquainted tour and U.S.
officials expect him to be a steady-handed leader.

But concerns over China's fast-expanding influence and its belligerent tone
in the regional disputes have Washington scrambling to assess how Beijing's
political stars are lining up.

China, too, has its concerns and has pushed back against U.S. attempts to
referee the South China Sea dispute and insert itself into similar rows
between China, Japan and South Korea over islands in the East China Sea.

While Washington has stressed that it takes no position on the competing
claims and simply wants to see a mechanism established to resolve them, its
forceful calls on China to play along have had a cool reception in Beijing.

Mark Valencia, a Hawaii-based expert on Asia-Pacific maritime disputes, said
the recent exchanges left "no doubt that the U.S. is siding with ASEAN
(Association of Southeast Asian Nations) -- not necessarily saying that
their claim is correct, but that the bases of their claims have more merit
than those of China".

During Clinton's last China visit in April, dissident Chen Guangcheng stole
the headlines with his made-for-TV escape from house arrest, flight to the
U.S. embassy and eventual decision to take a U.S.-brokered deal to travel to
New York.

U.S. officials are hoping for no such surprises during Clinton's 24-hour
visit to Beijing this week, saying this is a moment for stability, not
stirring the waters.

"I think the secretary intends very clearly to underscore our continuing
interest in maintaining a strong, positive relationship," the senior U.S.
official said.

(Additional reporting by Paul Eckert in WASHINGTON and Sabrina Mao and Ben
Blanchard in BEIJING; Editing by Nick Macfie)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved