[Dehai-WN] (Somaliland Sun) Al-Shabaab was a creation of the late Meles Zenawi - Kenya's deputy speaker of parliament Farah Maalim

From: Biniam Tekle <biniamt_at_dehai.org_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:05:33 -0400

http://somalilandsun.com/index.php/regional/1342-only-a-broad-based-government-in-mogadishu-can-resolve-differences-with-somaliland-amb-shinn
Sunday, 26 August 2012 23:28

Only a Broad based government in Mogadishu can resolve differences
with Somaliland-Amb. Shinn

Somalilandsun-The late Ethiopian Prime Minister Ato Meles Zenawi has
been defended against accusations that the notorious Somalia based
Al-Shabaab terrorist organization was his brainchild.

Ambassador David Shinn made the Zenawi defence during an interview
with the Horn newspaper's Mahmoud Walaleye, in which he also said that
the differences between Somalia and Somaliland would be resolved once
a broad based government is established in Mogadishu.

A renowned pundit on Horn Africa issues, who is currently an adjunct
professor of international affairs at The George Washington
University, Amb. Shinn, who received his B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. from
GW, is a former U.S. ambassador to Ethiopia (1996-99) and to Burkina
Faso (1987-90).

In reaction to comments by Kenya's deputy speaker of parliament to the
effect that Al-Shabaab was a creation of the late Meles Zenawi, the
ambassador termed the sentiments as mistake that he was not sure if it
reflected the views of the Kenyan government.

Read below the full verbatim excerpts of the interview

Q: How do you perceive Farah Maalim's comments regarding Meles
purported creation of Al-shabaab as well as possible repercussions of
bi-lateral relations between Kenya and Ethiopia?

A: I leave to the Kenyan government to determine if the deputy
speaker's comments reflect the view of the Kenyan government and I
leave to both governments whether they will influence bilateral
relations. I would point out that al-Shabaab existed before Meles
Zenawi sent troops into Somalia at the end of 2006. On the other hand,
the presence of large numbers of Ethiopian troops in Somalia,
especially in the capital of Mogadishu, was a major recruiting tool
for al-Shabaab. I argued from the beginning that Ethiopian
intervention in Somalia in late 2006 was a mistake, but to put all the
blame on Meles Zenawi for the rise of al-Shabaab is also a mistake.

Q: Will the Farah Ma'alim sentiments impinge on joint Ethio-Kenya
military incursion towards Kismayo, last strong hold of Shabaab,
especially as related to the support of opposing tribes given by the
two countries?

A: The capturing of Kismayo and, more importantly, returning it to
proper Somali authority other than al-Shabaab is an important
objective. I am not in a position to judge the likelihood of this
happening in the coming months. It was an early Kenyan objective last
year but did not happen. I doubt that Kismayo will be taken easily; it
is equally important to identify appropriate Somali forces who can
then keep al-Shabaab from retaking it. Long-term occupation of Kismayo
by foreign forces is a bad idea.

Q: how do you discern future dialogue between Somaliland and Somalia
in relation to the Mogadishu approved draft constitution that lays
claim to Somaliland as the northern region of Somalia?

Once there is a broad based Somali government acceptable to most
Somalis, it is important that dialogue begin between Somalia and
Somaliland concerning the future of both entities. That is the only
way to resolve differences between both governments.

Q: whom do you think is in charge Somalia considering that
International community end time of transition time has expired, and
new government yet established?

A: Different groups are in charge of different parts of Somalia.
AMISOM and Somali Transitional Federal Government (TFG) forces now
control the greater Mogadishu area. Ethiopian and TFG militia control
several key cities near the border with Ethiopia. Kenyan troops
control a significant part of the lower Juba. Puntland controls much
of Puntland. Al-Shabaab still controls much of the rest of Somalia.
The future of Somalia is still an open question and much now depends
on the Somali political process and the creation of a widely accepted
Somali government that turns it back on corruption. At this point, I
am not particularly optimistic about the political process or the
immediate future.