[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Sudan "very optimistic" about border agreement with S.Sudan

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 22:39:30 +0200

Sudan "very optimistic" about border agreement with S.Sudan

Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15am GMT

KHARTOUM Aug 13 (Reuters) - Sudan is "very optimistic" it can reach a border
security agreement with South Sudan that would allow a resumption of oil
exports from the South, a senior official of the Khartoum government said.

Sudan's Second Vice President al-Haj Adam Youssef said both sides did not
need to solve all outstanding conflicts to reach such an agreement.

"We are very optimistic about the (border) security issue," he told
reporters on Saturday.

His comments were the strongest indication yet that the border security
issue between the two hostile African neighbors can be solved.

Oil is essential to both countries and they have reached an agreement about
how much landlocked South Sudan will have to pay to export its oil through
northern pipelines, ending a dispute that saw the South shut down its entire
output in January.

But before exports can resume Sudan wants a security agreement for the 1,800
kilometer (1,200 mile) long border, much of which is disputed.

Border fighting brought the two countries close to another war in April. It
was worst violence since South Sudan became independent a year ago under a
peace agreement to end a long-running civil war with the North.

Youssef said the neighbours could finalise some of the most difficult issues
left over from southern secession - such as the fate of the disputed border
region of Abyei - after agreeing on a border security deal.

A buffer zone would be set up once the border had been marked.

"We think it is important to secure the border between the two countries so
we don't return to war another time," he said.

Sudan accuses Juba of supporting rebels of the SPLM-North in the border
states of South Kordofan and Blue Nile, a claim Western diplomats find
credible despite denials from Juba.

Juba, in turn, accuses Khartoum of frequently bombing its territory, a claim
denied by Sudan.

At the end of this month, Sudan and South Sudan are due to resume talks
sponsored by the African Union to solve the border security and other
issues. Previous attempts to set up a demilitarized buffer zone along the
border have failed.

South Sudan has said it wants to resume oil production next month but would
need a year to reach its former output of 350,000 barrels day after all its
wells were turned off in January. (Reporting by Ulf Laessing and Khalid
Abdelaziz. Editing by Christopher Wilson)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved