[Dehai-WN] Washingtonpost.com: Yemen airstrikes part of broad strategy to curb al-Qaeda, Obama adviser says

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:51:03 +0200

Yemen airstrikes part of broad strategy to curb al-Qaeda, Obama adviser says

By
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/karen-deyoung/2011/03/02/AB56xmP_page.html>
Karen DeYoung,

Thursday, August 9, 2:11 AM

President Obama's chief counterterrorism adviser on Wednesday defended the
administration's strategy to stem the growth of al-Qaeda's affiliate in
Yemen, saying its use of targeted killing is part of a wider approach that
includes humanitarian, development and military assistance.

The remarks by
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/john-o-brennan/gIQA9SFs9O_topic.html
> John O. Brennan at the Council on Foreign Relations were prompted in part
by criticism from foreign policy experts who have argued that
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/white-house-approves-
broader-yemen-drone-campaign/2012/04/25/gIQA82U6hT_story.html> U.S.
airstrikes in Yemen do not address the underlying causes of extremism there.

"Targeted strikes," a group of 27 prominent U.S. foreign policy experts said
in a letter to Obama in June, are "not a sustainable solution" to terrorism.

Drone strikes and other airstrikes in Yemen have dramatically increased this
year. Obama has authorized at least 41 strikes, the majority of them this
year, according to figures compiled by the Washington-based New America
Foundation. At least 10 alleged militants were killed in two separate
strikes Tuesday, Yemen's official news agency said.

On Wednesday, however, Brennan said that the focus on targeted killing
ignores the administration's "comprehensive approach."

"This year alone, U.S. assistance to Yemen is more than $337 million. Over
half this money, $178 million, is for political transition, humanitarian
assistance and development," he said.

Yemen is one of the world's poorest and least-developed countries.

Brennan praised Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi's efforts since
taking over in February, and he warned former president Ali Abdullah Saleh
and his supporters to abide by an internationally negotiated agreement under
which
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/yemens-new-president-sworn-in-as-car-bo
mb-kills-at-least-25/2012/02/25/gIQALG9lZR_story.html> Saleh stepped down
after 33 years in power.

The administration has tried to separate its targeted attacks on leaders of
al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula who have international terrorism ambitions
from the aid it gives Yemen's security forces to combat domestic insurgency
by AQAP and other groups.

"We're not involved in working with the Yemeni government in terms of direct
action or lethal action as part of that insurgency," Brennan said.

With U.S. intelligence help and other indirect assistance, Yemeni forces
this summer routed AQAP forces that had overtaken the southern towns of
Jaar, Lawdar and Zinjibar. A senior Yemeni official said in an interview
that development assistance is urgently required in those areas to prove to
the local populations that the government is capable of meeting their needs.

The militants "did smart things, like digging wells and hooking up
electricity and telephones. People now have higher expectations," said the
official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to press for early
delivery of promised U.S. aid.

Among other issues, Brennan said Obama will use executive powers to
implement some of the measures contained in
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cybersecurity-bill-fa
ils-in-senate/2012/08/02/gJQADNOOSX_story.html> cybersecurity legislation
that died after a filibuster by Senate Republicans last week.

"If Congress is not going to act on something like this, then the president
wants to make sure that we're doing everything possible," Brennan said.
"Believe me, the critical infrastructure of this country is under threat."
He did not specify the actions the White House might take.

Brennan also said that recent leaks of national security information had
been "devastating." He would not discuss specific examples.

"I don't want to validate any of the things that are out there," he said.
"But it's unconscionable what has gone out."

Congress and the Justice Department are investigating recent media reports
detailing U.S. activities in Yemen, Iran and elsewhere.