[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Clinton warns Kenya on cost of election unrest

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 00:10:44 +0200

Clinton warns Kenya on cost of election unrest

Sat Aug 4, 2012 4:43pm GMT

* More than 1,200 killed in bloody 2007 vote

* Kenyan president, prime minister were main rivals then

* Clinton says violence cost Kenyan economy about $1 bln

* Kenyan judiciary revamped to mediate poll disputes

By Andrew Quinn

NAIROBI, Aug 4 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged
Kenya on Saturday to hold free and fair elections and be a role model for
Africa, underlining the need to avoid the bloodshed and economic loss
suffered during the last vote five years ago.

The general election next March will be the first since a disputed poll in
2007 that set off a politically based ethnic slaughter in which more than
1,200 people were killed.

"We urge that the nation come together and prepare for elections which will
be a real model for the entire world," Clinton told reporters in Nairobi.

She met President Mwai Kibaki, who is barred by law from seeking a third
term, and Prime Minister Raila Odinga, who leads in opinion polls in the
race to replace him.

The two were the main rivals in the disputed presidential poll, when then
opposition leader Odinga accused Kibaki of stealing the vote.

Gangs faced off with machetes and clubs, and security forces opened fire on
the streets, until mediator Kofi Annan brokered a power-sharing pact between
Kibaki and Odinga that ended the violence and made Odinga prime minister.

Before meeting with members of Kenya's election commission, Clinton told
reporters that in her talks with Kibaki she had stressed "the importance of
the importance of a credible, transparent, free and fair election process."

Clinton warned of the cost of another botched election, urging the
government and civil society to work together.

"On the other hand the unrest that can result from a disputed election has a
terrible cost both in lives lost and in economic impact," she said.

"The instability that followed the last election cost the Kenyan economy by
most estimates more than one billion dollars."

Launching a seven-nation Africa tour in Senegal on Wednesday, Clinton urged
Africa to recommit to democracy, declaring the "old ways of governing" can
no longer work on a continent with strong economic growth and an
increasingly empowered citizenry.

She also met Somali President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed and other Somali leaders
in Nairobi, and will visit Malawi and South Africa.

Clinton's trip to Africa is intended in part to strengthen U.S. security
ties with allies such as Kenya, the economic powerhouse of eastern Africa,
in the face of growing threats from Islamist militants.

A statement from the Kenyan presidency said Clinton had "appreciated the
frontline role" Kenya continued to play to stabilise Somalia and the Horn of
Africa, and had promised her government's support for such initiatives.

Nairobi has blamed a series of bomb and other attacks in Kenya on Somalia's
al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab, which has threatened to retaliate since Kenyan
troops pursued the Islamists into Somalia in October.

JUDICIAL REFORMS

Clinton said she was encouraged by progress since Kenya adopted a new
constitution in August 2010, which granted the judiciary "significant
responsibilities".

She made the remarks after meeting Chief Justice Willy Mutunga, a former law
school lecturer with a track record of pushing for legal reform.

Mutunga has won praise for restructuring the courts since taking over in
June last year, including firing corrupt judges and setting up a special
team of judges to handle election disputes well ahead of next year's
presidential election.

Analysts say the crisis over the 2007 election was made considerably worse
by the parties' refusal to take disputes to the courts, which were widely
seen as inefficient and corrupt.

The fighting led to prosecutions of prominent Kenyan political figures,
including two presidential hopefuls, by the International Criminal Court.

Clinton urged the elections body to ensure the votes and aspirations of the
people were reflected accurately and fairly.

The commission is currently mired in a crisis over its decision to abandon
plans to introduce an electronic register of voters after the tendering
process descended into acrimony.

"When you lose an election and when your supporters see you lose an
election, its important that they have to see that the process was fair. And
that's what we hope for here for our friends in Kenya," said Clinton.

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved