[Dehai-WN] Nation.co.ke: Kibaki calls for sustained engagement on Somalia

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:29:03 +0200

Kibaki calls for sustained engagement on Somalia
Jul 16, 2012 - 1:29:56 AM

President Kibaki who is attending the 19th African Union Summit in Addis
Ababa, Ethiopia, has called for sustained efforts by the international
community and all stakeholders towards consolidating the gains so far
achieved in Somalia as the term of the Transitional Federal Government comes
to an end in August this year.

Speaking during discussions on the Report on the Activities of the AU Peace
and Security Council Monday, President Kibaki said the world has witnessed
an unprecedented opportunity for turning Somalia from conflict to peace over
last few months and underscored the need for sustained efforts to protect
the gains so far achieved.

Said the President: "As the transition period comes to an end in August
2012, Kenya urges sustained engagement by IGAD and neighbours of Somalia,
the African Union and the international community to protect the gains so
far achieved, and guarantee a smooth and peaceful conclusion of the current
administration."

President Kibaki noted that the joint efforts of Somalia's neighbours, IGAD
Member States and the Africa Union towards advancing the course of peace
have led to the liberation and stabilization of large areas of Somalia.

"This collective effort," added the President, "has also given impetus to
the political process which is critical for the attainment of sustainable
peace."

Negotiations

On Sudan and South Sudan, President Kibaki commended both President Omar
Bashir and President Salva Kiir for committing to fully implement the AU
roadmap within the stipulated timelines during the Peace and Security
Council session held on Sunday.

President Kibaki pledged Kenya's support of negotiations to iron out
outstanding issues between the two countries.

"As Chair of the IGAD Sub-committee on Sudan, I wish to reiterate the
commitment of IGAD to walk with these two neighbours towards their stated
goal of being two viable states, living side by side, in peace and
prosperity," said President Kibaki.

"We in Kenya," added the President, "believe that our security and that of
the region is linked to sustainable peace in all our neighbours. It is
therefore our desire to see peaceful resolution of all outstanding issues
between the two countries."

Having witnessed the commitment of both parties during the peace process
that led to the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement, President
Kibaki said he was confident they will stay the course of negotiation until
all the outstanding issues are resolved.

With respect to Eastern DRC, President Kibaki expressed concern over the
existence of multiple armed groups, the worsening humanitarian crisis,
shrinking confidence between neighbours, as well as illegal trade and
exploitation of natural resources, saying these have created a volatile
situation.

Drawing the attention of the African Union Assembly to the worrying
situation in DRC, President Kibaki called for "urgent dialogue between all
involved parties in order to reduce tensions."

The President was accompanied by Foreign Affairs Minister Prof. Sam Ongeri
and Minister of State for Planning Hon. Wycliffe A. Oparanya, among other
senior government officials.