[Dehai-WN] Ynetnews.com: Justice Ministry steps up fight against infiltrators

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:39:33 +0200

Justice Ministry steps up fight against infiltrators

New legislation proposes to criminalize wire transfers sent by illegal
migrant workers to their families abroad. Offense will carry penalty of NIS
29,200 or a six-month prison sentence. Eritrean refugee: Bill will endanger
lives of our sick, elderly relatives

Aviel Magnezi

Latest Update:

07.11.12, 00:24 / <http://www.ynetnews.com/home/0,7340,L-3082,00.html>
Israel News

The Justice Ministry on Sunday published a draft amendment to the "
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4160014,00.html>
anti-infiltration law" that will criminalize international wire transfers
sent by infiltrators.

The amendment proposes a punishment of six months imprisonment or a heavy
penalty of some NIS 29,200 (about $7,400).

The bill also penalizes those who aid with wire transfers, stipulating that
these individuals will face a one year prison sentence, or a fine of NIS
29,200 or a sum equal to twice the amount that was transferred, or intended
to be transferred, out of Israel - whichever one is higher.

"Reducing the economic incentive is an effective tool to deal with the
phenomenon of infiltration," a statement issued by the Justice Ministry
read. "In recent years, the
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3284752,00.html%20> State of
Israel has been dealing with a wave of African infiltrators, who currently
amount to over 60,000 people."

The Ministry also stated that it is estimated that most infiltrators are
migrant workers who come to Israel in order to find jobs and send money back
to their families.

"Restricting infiltrators from sending wire transfers abroad balances
Israel's right to protect itself from the growing phenomenon of infiltration
and its duty to respect the human rights of those who live within its
boundaries," the statement said.

"This balance is reached by temporarily banning international wire transfers
(no limitations have been placed on domestic transactions). Upon departure
from Israel, the infiltrators can take the money they earned while working
in Israel.

"The ban will not apply to individuals who have been recognized as refugees,
or in special humanitarian cases," the statement said.

The bill amendment will be submitted for approval by the Ministerial
Committee on Legislative Affairs. If it is approved, the bill will be put up
for preliminary reading at the Knesset plenum.

'Unconstitutional infringement'

Shortly after learning of the new bill, immigrant aid groups slammed the
proposed legislation, saying that it "is an unconstitutional infringement on
the asylum seekers' right to property."

Attorney Yonatan Berman, from the Legal Clinic for Immigrant's Rights at the
Academic Center of Law and Business, told ynet that "the bill repeats the
false mantra that has been used by the government, claiming these are not
refugees but migrant workers."

Senera, an Eritrean refugee, commented on the bill, saying that "many of us
left behind sick and elderly relatives in refugee camps. If we don't support
them and share with them the little money that we earn in Israel, their
lives will be in danger."

According to Senera, "Most of the funds are being transferred via illegal
channels and not through banks, and therefore the government should focus on
stopping the illegal trade rather than passing this legislation."

Rosen, from the Hotline for Migrant Workers, noted that "lately we've been
witnessing an increasing number of asylum seekers who arrive unwillingly
from Eritrea. They were kidnapped from refugee camps by Bedouin smugglers
who charge a ransom of up to $60,000, which is paid by their relatives
abroad.

"After paying the ransom, these people are released from the torture camps
and cross over into Israel. They are then forced to work in order to repay
their relatives for the ransom money," Rosen noted, adding that the
"obstacles Israel is trying to amass are nothing compared to the hardships
the refugees face in Sudan, Eritrea and Egypt. Therefore they will likely
continue to come here."

Rosen noted that "only by recognizing them as refugees, Israel can receive
help from other Western countries, which are larger and can absorb them.
Thus far only 157 people have been recognized as refugees."

Over 129 migrants were arrested over the past week and moved to a holding
facility as part of the crackdown on illegal immigration. According to data
presented in a meeting convened by Prime Minister
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3482383,00.html%20> Benjamin
Netanyahu, some 928 illegal migrants were detained in June and 2,031
migrants were arrested in May.

During the meeting, Netanyahu said the construction of the border fence will
most likely be completed in October. "We have much more to do but we're on
the right track," said Netanyahu.