[Dehai-WN] Allafrica.com: Sudan, S. Sudan Adopt 'Strategic' Approach to Resolve Disputed Issues

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 00:40:55 +0200

Sudan, S. Sudan Adopt 'Strategic' Approach to Resolve Disputed Issues

Khartoum/Juba - Sudan and South Sudan delegations in Addis Ababa endorsed
with some optimism a new strategic approach to facilitate a quick progress
in the stalled talks when it resumes next week, the two parties announced.

The two parties left Addis Ababa on Saturday as the discussions have been
postponed until 12 July to allow South Sudan's negotiating team to attend
the first anniversary of the country's independence.

Also, the chief negotiator, Thabo Mbeki, arrived in Khartoum where he met
president Omer al-Bashir to discuss the prospects of the talks in the
upcoming weeks as the parties are tied by a UN resolution demanding to
conclude the process before the 2 August.

Briefing the media after his arrival in Khartoum, Sudan's defence minister
who chairs the Sudanese delegation to the Joint Political and Security
Mechanism, Abdel-Rahim Hussein spoke with certain optimism about the
comprehensive strategic approach

He told reporters that this approach is based on three principles: 1-
commitment to non aggression pact 2- non interference in the internal
affairs 3- transparency and good-faith in their joint cooperation to resolve
the outstanding issues.

"As members of South Sudan's negotiating team, we strongly believe that the
comprehensive strategic approach, which was also endorsed our President
[Salva Kiir] will offer new solutions to resolving the outstanding
post-independence issues," Amum told a media briefing on arrival from Addis
Ababa.

The new approach, he added, will mainly focus on the establishing a
demilitarized buffer zone along their troubled border restarted, in addition
to others as mandated by both the AU roadmap and the UNSC resolution 2026.

The implementation of security arrangements agreed by the two countries
since November last year was key issue to pave the way for comprehensive
solution for the outstanding issues. However, the difference over a map
demarcating the buffer zone hampered the process.

The issue of the presence of rebel groups from both sides is seen, in
Khartoum, as main factor to obstruct efforts to build confidence and break
the deadlock in the talks.

Abdel Rahim said this approach will allow the two sides to address security
issues and to coordinate their efforts on the political, diplomatic and
security fields and to take tough decisions on the basis of common interests
of the two countries.

Speaking about the UN Security Council resolution 2046 and the delay in the
talks as the deadline of 2 August is approaching, Hussein said the aim of
the decision was to prevent the escalation of violence and war between the
two countries.

He point out that the new strategy decreases the tension and the purpose of
the resolution is achieved.

Meanwhile, Amum blamed the African Union mediation team for the delay in the
talks saying it did not invite the two parties early enough for resumption
of discussions.

"Up to now, the two delegations have not yet been invited to discuss the key
outstanding issues between them and this may negatively impact on the fast
approaching deadline," Amum said.

He said the next round of talks will require renewed "positive thinking" and
"tough decision" if a viable solution is to be reached on resolving the
issues at hand.

Speaking to the media form Khartoum after his arrival; Mbeki, congratulated
the two sides for reaching this strategic approach.

He stressed that it will allow the two parties now to tackle the outstanding
issues taking in account the deadline determined by the AU roadmap and the
resolution 2046.

The Elders, an independent group of global leaders, on Friday expressed
concerns about the deadline for ending the talks, encouraging the two
parties to expedite the process that could witness two viable states living
side by side with each other.

BASHIR SALVA KIIR MEETING?

The minister Abdel-Rahim however told reporters that the presidential summit
might not take place as expected on the sidelines of the African Union
meeting.

He pointed out that the necessary arrangements have not yet being done. But
he stressed that the preparations are taking place to hold it.

Mbeki also minimised of the importance of such summit for the time being.

He said such meeting should be organised after good preparation, adding it
should not be for consumption through the media but only to reach radical
solution to the disputed issues.

Relevant Links

* <http://allafrica.com/stories/201207060095.html> Two Sudans Resume
Security Talks in Ethiopia
* <http://allafrica.com/stories/201207051085.html> Desmond Tutu and
Fellow Elders to Visit South Sudan and Sudan to Encourage Peace Efforts
* <http://allafrica.com/stories/201207040647.html> Sudan's Delegation
On Security Issues Departs to Addis Ababa
* <http://allafrica.com/stories/201207090654.html> SPLM-N Rebels
Stick to Comprehensive Conflict Resolution in Sudan
* <http://allafrica.com/stories/201207040247.html> South Sudan VP
Recieves Cool Reception in Lakes State Over Border Dispute