[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Sudan signs deals with oil companies for 9 blocks

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 22:59:25 +0200

Sudan signs deals with oil companies for 9 blocks

Thu Jul 5, 2012 11:10am GMT

* Production not expected before a few years

* Sudan still reeling from loss in oil revenue

* Strategic Heglig oilfield producing 40,000 bpd

By Yara Bayoumy

KHARTOUM, July 5 (Reuters) - Sudan has signed oil exploration and
production-sharing deals with foreign companies on nine blocks, a senior oil
official said, sealing investments of $1 billion in Sudan, which is
struggling to deal with a big loss in oil revenues.

State Oil Minister Ishaq Adam Gamaa said on Thursday Canadian firm Statesman
Resources Ltd as well as Chinese, Nigerian, Australian, Brazilian and French
companies had signed the agreements. State-owned oi l and gas firm Sudapet
was included in the deals.

Seven blocks were awarded for the first time, while some companies joined
previously awarded contracts for two other blocks, Gamaa said. Some of the
blocks are near the northern border with Egypt, some are offshore and others
are near Kassala in eastern Sudan and in Khartoum state.

"The initial investment needed for these blocks is $1 billion. It will not
be cash given to Sudan, but money that will be invested by those companies,"
Gamaa told Reuters.

Gamaa said there would be no production at the new blocks for several years
while companies carry out magnetic surveys, seismic data and drilling of
exploratory wells.

"We cannot say when we'll produce. There are several activities that need to
be done towards production. They will take several years," he said.

Gamaa said the government's share of oil would depend on data from each
block. "The government priority will be to meet domestic demand and export
the surplus," he said.

Gamaa said Sudan was currently producing 115,000 barrels per day (bpd) and
by the end of 2012 would add another 65,000 bpd.

The north African country lost three-quarters of its oil output when South
Sudan gained independence last year, leaving the oil-dependent economy
reeling from a sudden loss in state revenues, which has led to an estimated
$2.4 billion budget deficit.

The economy, strapped for foreign currency, was already feeling the effects
of U.S. trade sanctions, double-digit inflation and a weakening currency,
all of which led the government to introduce austerity measures including
the scaling back of fuel subsidies.

The rise in fuel prices has spurred protests across the country over the
past two and a half weeks calling for President Omar Hassan al-Bashir's
government to resign.

A dispute with South Sudan earlier this year also damaged the strategic
Heglig oilfield, which is central to Sudan's economy. Gamaa said Heglig was
now fully operational and producing 40,000 bpd.

A source in the oil industry said Heglig's average production was running
around 40,000 bpd a day and had been fluctuating between about 37,000 and
47,000 bpd.

The source said he did not know how long it would take to restore the
previous production levels of 55,000 to 60,000 bpd.

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved