[Dehai-WN] Israelnationalnews.com: Immigrant: 'I Wish I were Eritrean'

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:43:32 +0200

Immigrant: 'I Wish I were Eritrean'

Jewish immigrant from Ethiopia tells Arutz Sheva about life in competition
with Eritrean illegal entrants.

By Maayana Miskin

First Publish: 6/15/2012, 12:14 AM

Yaakov Tamir of Kiryat Malachi immigrated to Israel several years ago from
Ethiopia. He found a job in a factory, where he has been working for years
to support his family.

In recent months, however, Tamir has faced growing problems at work as he
finds himself increasingly in competition with Eritrean citizens who entered
the country illegally.

"We try to survive each day at work. The owner doesn't care about us, he
prefers Eritreans because they work more hours for the same money," he told
Arutz Sheva.

"I'm breaking my back so that the owner will see me working harder than the
Eritreans. They work endlessly for minimal pay. I have a family, I can't
work 24 hours a day," he added.

The factory once employed primarily Jews, Tamir said. However, "The owner
fires Jews and hires Eritreans. today most [workers] are Eritrean."

"I'm sorry to say this but - I wish I were Eritrean," he said. "To live
without paying taxes. save money. "

The problem of competition with foreign workers who have little need to pay
for local goods and no family ties in the country affects primarily the
"weaker population," he noted.

Ethiopian Aliyah

Ethiopian Aliyah