[Dehai-WN] Africa-Confidential.com: The leadership race opens up

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 18:24:13 +0200

<http://www.africa-confidential.com/article/id/4469/The_leadership_race_open
s_up> The leadership race opens up

The contest for the presidential nomination is stirring up a lot of mud, and
harming the governing party and the entire country

06th May 2012

The battle for succession in the African National Congress is getting
nastier as its outcome looks more uncertain. Supporters of the main
protagonists fight their battles, firstly within the ANC structures, then in
the security services, the courts and the state broadcasting service. For
months, the main contest was between national President
<http://www.africa-confidential.com/whos-who-profile/id/69/Jacob_Zuma> Jacob
Zuma, who seeks re-election as ANC President, and the party's Deputy
President, Kgalema Motlanthe. Now, the field is opening up, with Human
Settlements Minister
<http://www.africa-confidential.com/whos-who-profile/id/174/Tokyo_Sexwale>
Tokyo Sexwale and business tycoon Cyril Ramaphosa emerging as serious
contenders. Even long-term backers of Zuma now concede that he might not be
able to finish a second presidency but argue that he is needed to steer the
party through the next few troubled years.

ANC traditionalists abhor such personality contests in the party and the
contenders remain coy about their plans. The leadership contest doesn't
formally start until October and will be decided at the party's elective
conference in December at Mangaung (formerly Bloemfontein), capital of Free
State. Of the three challengers, the gentlemanly Motlanthe looks the most
committed; Sexwale and Ramaphosa could still strike a deal with the Zuma
camp which could, on paper, leave them as heirs apparent in five years'
time.

Aside from the personality element, the ANC leadership race is about control
of provincial branches, the security services and the party's National
Executive Committee (NEC). Hostility, from differing quarters, has been
growing against Zuma: from nationalist 'tenderpreneurs' such as sacked ANC
Youth League (ANCYL) leader Julius Malema to national trades union leader
Zwelinzima Vavi (see Box,
<http://www.africa-confidential.com/article/id/4470/Police_and_thieves>
Police and thieves). All the challengers are struggling to cut into Zuma's
support in the provinces. Nothing is set in stone yet. Sexwale's strategists
say their candidate is positioning himself in case the cautious Motlanthe
withdraws his candidacy at the last minute. Others say that Sexwale doesn't
want to confront the wily Zuma head on, but wants to put down a marker now.

Ramaphosa urged to stand

Supporters of Ramaphosa are urging the former ANC General Secretary to stake
his claim now, believing the climate will have completely changed in five
years. On 19 May, at a symposium for the late Walter Sisulu, Derek Hanekom,
the Deputy Minister for Science and Technology and NEC member, called on
Ramaphosa to run, arguing that the party needed leaders of his 'calibre'.
The party faithful remember that Ramaphosa was former President Nelson
Mandela's original choice as successor in 1999 but he was outmanoeuvred by
<http://www.africa-confidential.com/whos-who-profile/id/2/Thabo_Mbeki> Thabo
Mbeki.

At the same symposium, Ramaphosa said the ANC 'needs leaders who are
selfless, courageous, patient and humble'. He stayed silent about a possible
challenge to Zuma. Ramaphosa chairs the ANC's National Disciplinary
Committee of Appeal, which confirmed the expulsion of ANCYL President
Malema. We hear that Zuma has been wooing Ramaphosa to run alongside him for
the ANC deputy presidency. Ramaphosa would be presented as the
business-friendly candidate and 'natural successor'. That could prove a
winning ticket at home and abroad but Ramaphosa risks becoming a prisoner of
the Zuma system.

Moreover, Zuma's political weight shouldn't be underestimated. His campaign
won a boost on 13 May when the ANC in KwaZulu-Natal Province threw its
weight behind Zuma's re-election bid. Yet the Province's ANC leader, Zweli
Mkhize, whom some suspect of secretly supporting Sexwale, said that although
KZN was now publicly backing Zuma, 'anything may change' at the Mangaung
conference.

Some ANC provincial premiers, such as Gauteng's David Makhura, questioned
the KZN ANC's announcement; Zuma and ANC General Secretary Gwede Mantashe
had banned ANC members and provinces from publicly campaigning until
October. Opponents of Zuma's second-term bid accuse him of manipulating
party rules and state institutions.

Journalists at the SA Broadcasting Corporation say they are under pressure
to expose corruption and wrongdoing by Zuma's opponents to boost his record.
The Zuma camp is to propose that new senior television and radio
appointments will be vetted by the intelligence agencies, which have
themselves been purged.

Malema still hopes to affect the outcome at Mangaung by backing Zuma's foes.
ANCYL Spokesman Floyd Shivambu, sacked along with his close ally Malema,
forecasts that Zuma will lose the leadership. They have been galvanising
ANCYL structures to support them across the provinces, which are the basis
of their political muscle.

Malema and the League outraged Zuma by appearing at an ANC rally in Limpopo,
calling for Zuma to stand down and for Motlanthe to replace him. Thousands
of ANCYL supporters wore T-shirts sporting the General Secretary's face and
reading 'Motlanthe for President'. Motlanthe, who was present,
unconvincingly told his supporters that T-shirts promoting one candidate
were not in the 'spirit' of the ANC. Deputy General Secretary Thandi Modise
came out in support of the League. Limpopo Premier Cassel Mathale is one of
Malema's most powerful allies and has tilted the provincial government
against Zuma.

Zuma and Motlanthe now talk to each other only at ANC events, where they
have to appear cordial. Motlanthe's strategists believe the Zuma camp is
trying to leak dirt and dent his rival's image. Some reports have emerged
claiming that Motlanthe's partner, Gugu Mtshali, used her ANC and government
connections to secure sanctions-busting deals in Iran. Motlanthe's camp said
these allegations were 'fabricated' by Zuma's campaigners. At a press
conference, Motlanthe invited the police, prosecuting authorities and the
Public Protector to investigate the claims - in contrast to Zuma's
aggressive response to any claims of wrongdoing.

As for Malema, Zuma is happy to have him tied up in appeals and court
battles to lift his suspension, sidelining him as a force in the party. Zuma
also wants the ANCYL's pro- and anti-Malema factions to battle it out over
how to respond to Malema's suspension and to bar ANC leaders such as Mathews
Phosa and Motlanthe from supporting Malema at public rallies.

Public Protector Thuli Madonsela last year instructed the Limpopo government
to stop contracts awarded to On Point Engineering, a company linked to
Malema, while she investigated the contracts it had won. Malema's family
trust, Ratanang, is a shareholder in On Point, which received big contracts
from Limpopo. Leaked documents also showed that Sexwale's company,
Mvelaphanda Holdings, allegedly paid R100,000 to Ratanang Trust in 2010.
Zuma's people claim they have evidence of other cash payments from Sexwale
to Malema.

In this very personal fight between two former allies, Zuma may be older and
wiser but Malema and his network are showing surprising resilience. Most
remarkable is how seriously party heavyweights such as Sexwale and Motlanthe
seem to take the Malema factor. Several tough months of party in-fighting
lie ahead.