[Dehai-WN] (Reuters): Somali rebel mortars kill 5 near presidential palace

From: Berhane Habtemariam <Berhane.Habtemariam_at_gmx.de_at_dehai.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 21:35:09 +0100

Somali rebel mortars kill 5 near presidential palace

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20am GMT

* Mortars miss presidential palace, hit refugee camp

* Militants vow further strikes on presidential compound

MOGADISHU, March 19 (Reuters) - At least five people were killed when a
salvo of mortars targeting Somalia's presidential palace missed and landed
on a nearby refugee camp overnight, residents and the African Union's
peacekeeping force said on Monday.

Somalia's al Qaeda-aligned al Shabaab rebel group said they fired more than
a dozen mortars at the heavily fortified presidential compound, their second
attempt to strike at the heart of the embattled government in less than a
week.

Paddy Ankunda, spokesman for the AU force known as AMISOM, said some mortar
rounds crashed into a camp for Somalis displaced by war and famine about 500
metres from the presidential palace.

"No mortar landed in the palace - they landed on an IDP camp and killed
about six civilians," Ankunda told Reuters.

Mogadishu resident Ali Hussein, who lives next to the squalid settlement,
said one mortar killed five members of a single family.

Ankunda said it was not clear where the short-range mortars were fired from.
Villa Somalia, as the presidential compound is known, is normally beyond the
range of mortars launched from outside the Somali capital.

The militants did not disclose their firing point, but a location within
Mogadishu would embarrass AMISOM and the government, which last week claimed
they had secured all of Mogadishu.

While al Shabaab pulled out of the capital in August and African Union
forces have been securing neighbourhoods vacated by the Islamist rebels, the
coastal city remains prone to regular attacks by suicide bombers and
roadside explosions.

"See how we are serious," said Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, the spokesman for
al Shabaab's military operation. "We shall continue attacking the palace
with suicide bombings and shells."

In a separate incident, al Shabaab attacked a building housing security
forces in Mogadishu's Alikamin area, between Bakara market and Mogadishu
stadium.

"We attacked security forces in a house. We killed them and destroyed the
building with rocket-propelled grenades and machine gun fire last night,"
Sheikh Mohamed Abu Abdirahman, who the militants' refer to as the governor
of Mogadishu, said.

Residents reported heavy gunfire in the area overnight but could not confirm
casualties. (Reporting by Abdi Sheikh and Feisal Omar; Editing by Richard
Lough/Patrick Graham)

C Thomson Reuters 2012 All rights reserved